Coopers Community

Out of date yeast

Hi guys, went looking for a Saison yeast the other day. The only one I could find was out of date by a little over a year. Bought it anyway (at a reduced price) thinking that it may not matter.

Anyone had any experience with out of date yeast? - or should I just use an Ale yeast instead.

Thank you 😄

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Frundles said:

Hi guys, went looking for a Saison yeast the other day. The only one I could find was out of date by a little over a year. Bought it anyway (at a reduced price) thinking that it may not matter.

Anyone had any experience with out of date yeast? - or should I just use an Ale yeast instead.

Thank you 😄

I've used out of date yeast with no problem, but that was only by a few months. Can't speak for a year.

39 minutes ago, Mr Frundles said:

Thank you 😄

I would just chuck it & get some new stuff.

@Mr Frundles, dried yeast last a lot longer in the sealed sachet than most people think.  If it was stored properly (cool) in your LHBS then use it IMO.

I have used dried yeast that are two years past their used by date, without a starter and they were fine each time.  I have used liquid yeast about two years past their use by dates albeit in those instances it was with a starter and those brew were fine two.  Just recently I used some sachets that were dated best before May 2022 and they were also fine.  I must be "The Yeast Whisperer" ha ha. 😅

Like @Aussiekraut says, if you can make a very small starter say 100 g of light dry malt in 1 L of pre-boiled water and this will tell you that its ok to proceed and use when it starts to ferment and foam up.  Pitch the dried yeast when the starter liquid gets down to about 20-25 C or so, not any hotter.  Then you can then tip the lot into your FV on brew day.

If you don't know and you want to know the process of making a simple small starter just yell OK.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 2:35 PM, Back Brewing said:

That is what I do with with the can yeast if I do a kit throw it in the boil for nutrients

I often use kit yeast about 12 months or more old. No problems. In 34 years only had 4 or 5 fail to start. I always have 2 or 3 spare sachets set aside i rotate around. Having said that i had one fail recently IIRC only about 6 months past the best before. 🙄

That's say 5 out of 640 brews. 😉

Perhaps as suggested, do a starter if you don't have a spare sachet if your worried.

Edited by Oldbloke

48 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I often use kit yeast about 12 months or more old. No problems. In 34 years only had 4 or 5 fail to start. I always have 2 or 3 spare sachets set aside i rotate around. Having said that i had one fail recently IIRC only about 6 months past the best before. 🙄

That's say 5 out of 640 brews. 😉

Perhaps as suggested, do a starter if you don't have a spare sachet if your worried.

@Oldbloke I haven't got the problem it was the OP but at the end of the day brewers who are just starting out really should take note of your comments as you have the years and brews on the board to show you know what your talking about when it comes to Coopers kits

Edited by Back Brewing