Coopers Community

been lurking for a while....thought i'd say hi

Fedaykin409

11 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Hi @Fedaykin409, With the colour of your brew in the photo, I'm wondering what day the photo was taken? My Coopers extract brews and my husband's Woolworth lagers both start off a much darker colour: eg a dark plummy brown for my Coopers Brew A IPA or a dark golden tan for the lager. Then by about day 3 they both look a hazy pale tan. By about day 6 they are both becoming darker again; usually ending up as dark as they started out. I think this is caused by the yeast doing it's thing. Someone else or @Coopers DIY Beer Teammay have a better explanation for this.

That was the day after I mixed.  I was quite surprised cos it was a lot darker on day 1. When first mixed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Fedaykin409 , well done.  Just a tip:  You do not need to use the Krausen collar on normal brews so skip that next time and save on the wash up.  You only really need to use the collar on "big" beers (high OG) and wheat beers, stouts and the like.   And you should only need to use the lid clips on these beers too.  For normal beers just sit the lid on the FV and keep the collar and the clips in the cupboard.

@iBooz2 dunno if I have somehow confused it along the way but I’ve always clipped the lid to the FV with my brews. Would this likely have any particular effect on the brews? I haven’t had any particular issue that I’ve specifically noticed so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

@iBooz2 dunno if I have somehow confused it along the way but I’ve always clipped the lid to the FV with my brews. Would this likely have any particular effect on the brews? I haven’t had any particular issue that I’ve specifically noticed so far.

The krausen collar & clips are only necessary when you are making a 'big brew' usually Stouts/Porters ect. with lots of fermentables & specialty yeasts. The collar gives more room for expansion when you develop a large krausen, it saves a mess in the fridge or floor, most average home brews you don't have to worry.

• Like 1

The "change in colour" over the ferment is a function of turbidity. As the yeast cells rehydrate and increase their numbers through budding, the fermenting beer becomes more turbid, so light doesn't pass through the beer, rather it gets absorbed or reflected back. This shifts the spectrum of light reaching your eyes, so you perceive a change in colour. When the yeast floccs out, the "colour" reverts back to where it was before fermentation commenced. Actually, there is usually a slight loss of colour due to fermentation.  Cheers, Frank.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

@NBillett09 , the fermenting beer is not going to know if you use the clips or not and it has absolutely no effect on the beer.  I have only used mine once and that was the very first time I used the new Coopers FV.  It saves having to wash them and sanitise them each time so that takes another job off the list. 

The FV lid is not going to be knocked or bumped off or disturbed as it has quite a large lip as you know.  Might be different if you have little ones around (as in your case) and they want to take a sticky beak or try floating toy boats in your fermenting beer then the clips might act a deterrent. 

Many years ago when I had little ones I found the VHS player would not accept tapes.  Turns out my toddler daughter thought it was a good place to hide her Vegemite sandwich which she did not want to eat.

As already said only needed on big foamy ferments.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 5:42 PM, Fedaykin409 said:

Well that's the first one out of the way...

For my first effort I'm happy with it. 

The colours darker than It should be. I'm assuming it's a tap water thing. I'll use pura tap on the next one ( just got impatient on this one. Puratap flows slower. Lol)

PXL_20240117_070158231.jpg

i remade the same beer, same ingredients. just fresh. and the difference is definately noticable.

PXL_20240226_055736038.jpg

...i've also done the Craft ROTM - apricot IPA. that thing was absolutely delicious.PXL_20240213_030755056.jpg

Edited by Fedaykin409
photo spacing
  • Like 9