Coopers Community

Thomas Cooper's Bootmaker Pale Ale - tips for tweaking please

jennyss

I have a tin of Thomas Cooper's Bootmaker Pale Ale, which I haven't made before.  I have a few questions.

The recipe calls for 1.5kg LDM. Can I swap 500g of LDM for 1kg pkt of Brew Enhancer 2?

Will the yeast under the lid cope with that? 

I have 25g pkts of Cascade, Galaxy and Mosaic hop pellets in the freezer. Which one(s) would you add - or none?

6 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I have a tin of Thomas Cooper's Bootmaker Pale Ale, which I haven't made before.  I have a few questions.

The recipe calls for 1.5kg LDM. Can I swap 500g of LDM for 1kg pkt of Brew Enhancer 2?

I have 25g pkts of Cascade, Galaxy and Mosaic hop pellets in the freezer. Which one(s) would you add - or none?

Top choice- a lovely beer.

Jenny the recipe would be better with the 1.5kg of LDM as it is a gutsy brew, if you substitute the malts, you will be adding Dextrose & Maltodextrin & it won't be the same.

I would stick to the recipe for best results.

Either hop would be OK.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hi Jenny

The standard brew will get you around 5% ABV

image.thumb.png.08a26b3f20b8c69ade05770fc40a2b75.png

I cannot remember the make up of Brew Enhancer 2.  However, if you are using it to replace some of the LDM, I would replace it with 1kg of LDM rather than 500g of LDM.  That way the ABV will stay about the same.  However, I think BE2 has some Maltodextrin, that is un-fermentable.  Therefore, it might come out around 4.8%.  

image.thumb.png.89a4664f54d3fb311cd57f9a071b6739.png

If you do decide to replace 500g of LDM with 1kg of BE2 you will get a beer around 5.7%

image.thumb.png.b968ba37fc8cf5d3fda95615d0b4bd62.png

Whatever you decide to do, I would dry hop with 25g of the Galaxy, maybe even 25g of Galaxy and 25g of Cascade.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co and @Shamus O'Sean, I will stick with the LDM as in the recipe, and also add some hops. I was mainly thinking a swap might add to the flavour. 

It all comes down to personal taste don't you make you're husband plain WW Lager with dextrose or brew enhancer? You make the more exotic brews with malt and hops?

Try the brew a few times with different ingredients and see which you prefer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

don't you make you're husband plain WW Lager with dextrose or brew enhancer?

We add 1pkt of Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 and 500g sugar to my  husband's WW Lager. Next brew day he is also going to add 12g Galaxy hops and 250g Light Dry Malt to his brew.  I will be making the Bootmaker Pale Ale. Yes, you're right about personal taste Uhtred, and it is very interesting to experiment.

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jennyss said:

We add 1pkt of Coopers Brew Enhancer 3 and 500g sugar to my  husband's WW Lager. Next brew day he is also going to add 12g Galaxy hops and 250g Light Dry Malt to his brew.  I will be making the Bootmaker Pale Ale. Yes, you're right about personal taste Uhtred, and it is very interesting to experiment.

Yes you never know if try the same brew different ways sometimes how good one version will turn out.

• Like 2