Coopers Community

Melbourne Bitter Production Pause.

Uhtred Of Beddanburg

Hello all I stopped into 3 of my locals today for a pot of good old MB. The first one said nothing and poured me the goodness. The second said sorry we have none until next February as has been a production pause. 

So I walked down to another pub and got one but when asked he said yes he received an email that there would be no more until next year 🤔

With no other information I'm wondering if it is just a simple supply chain issue. My other thought is they may bring it back reduced abv or recepie change. Only time will tell I suppose but now wish I got more when Dan's had it cheap.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of this but the cynic in me says it's gone for good. Making way for production and logistic efficiencies. 

I'd imagine MB sales are quite low outside of Victoria. There's no marketing support for the brand like there is for Carlton & VB.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of this but the cynic in me says it's gone for good. Making way for production and logistic efficiencies. 

I'd imagine MB sales are quite low outside of Victoria. There's no marketing support for the brand like there is for Carlton & VB.

It won't affect me either way as I didn't think it was anything special or worth worrying about, but then I don't speak Mexican either. 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It won't affect me either way as I didn't think it was anything special or worth worrying about, but then I don't speak Mexican either. 🤣

Thats a surprise as you like beers with POR flavour. MB is pretty much the only Aussie megaswill Lager left with that flavour. I know you prefer the ales but still has that flavour at the end.

4 hours ago, Malter White said:

Hopefully not as you think they would tell the customers first meaning the pubs buying kegs.

I guess time will tell. There is actually a big market for it in NSW inland especially the Riverina area. Even as far up as young bottle shops stock it frequently. 

Ask a person from Wagga Wagga how much MB is floating around the place.  

That is if you isolated SA folk with you're own beer glass sizes ever mingle with such people 😉

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Thats a surprise as you like beers with POR flavour. MB is pretty much the only Aussie megaswill Lager left with that flavour. I know you prefer the ales but still has that flavour at the end.

Hopefully not as you think they would tell the customers first meaning the pubs buying kegs.

I guess time will tell. There is actually a big market for it in NSW inland especially the Riverina area. Even as far up as young bottle shops stock it frequently. 

Ask a person from Wagga Wagga how much MB is floating around the place.  

That is if you isolated SA folk with you're own beer glass sizes ever mingle with such people 😉

I like all different types of hops & use them frequently in all brews.

Melbourne Bitter is just another megaswill beer from Victoria, the only good thing about it being better than VB 😬 

As far as isolated that is only an opinion & if you look around you will see every state has different glass sizes & names so who cares anyway.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I like all different types of hops & use them frequently in all brews.

Melbourne Bitter is just another megaswill beer from Victoria, the only good thing about it being better than VB 😬 

As far as isolated that is only an opinion & if you look around you will see every state has different glass sizes & names so who cares anyway.

I knew I would get a reaction a out that. See the wink mate? just having a stir I don't care either 👍🏻

Just got an update anyway should be back as normal next year they need to get plenty of stock of more popular beers like dry and northern etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd care if I was in SA and asked for a pint and got a bloody schooner, what clown came up with that nonsense?

Well Otto, I guess it is the same in reverse, many times when I was travelling interstate I would ask for a Schooner & get a Pint, but it doesn't take long to adjust to the different state's sizes.

The only time it was a nuisance was when I had to drive between towns calling on Pubs, 2-3 285ml glasses were OK but when they were 425-570ml that was different. 🚔

This article may explain part of the reason.

https://adelaideaz.com/articles/sizes-and-name-of-beer-glasses-----pints--schooners--butcher-------in--south-australia--drink-alone-#:~:text=The story behind the smaller pint glass in,of World War I or 1930s Depression austerity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd care if I was in SA and asked for a pint and got a bloody schooner, what clown came up with that nonsense?

I can't argue with it being nonsense. A pint is equivalent to 568ml and a pint is a pint.
I read the idea of 425ml pints came about during WW1 or WW2 when many staples were rationed. Some clever publican/s came up with "ration pints" (425ml) and they just stuck around since.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

I can't argue with it being nonsense. A pint is equivalent to 568ml and a pint is a pint.
I read the idea of 425ml pints came about during WW1 or WW2 when many staples were rationed. Some clever publican/s came up with "ration pints" (425ml) and they just stuck around since.

Sometimes it works out pretty good, at the Jetty Hotel Glenelg they have a weekly special, an Imperial Pint (Mexican Pint) for $8.00, thats not bad as it is the equivalent of 2 x SA Shooners, $4.00 each. 

Considering the average price of a SA 285ml schooner is $7.50-$9.50 it works out fine.

I normally drink Pints 425ml but I am more selective these days as unless there is a special you will pay $9.50-$12.50 on average. 

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

Do you have your own compass readings in SA, too. If Victorians are Mexican (South of the Border) does that make Western Australians Norsemen?

Yeah Mexicans are what NSW call Victoria it's a bit silly when SA folk call them Mexican. And the Imperial Pint has been around for how many hundreds of years?

All of a sudden these non convicts come along and start re inventing glass sizes and names that have been in place for yonks. 

I can accept going from NSW and Vic and switching between saying middy or pot. But when we talk about changing names of glasses that already existed for hundreds of years well 😜

It doesn't make being called a Mexican really than insulting does it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well Otto, I guess it is the same in reverse, many times when I was travelling interstate I would ask for a Schooner & get a Pint, but it doesn't take long to adjust to the different state's sizes.

The only time it was a nuisance was when I had to drive between towns calling on Pubs, 2-3 285ml glasses were OK but when they were 425-570ml that was different. 🚔

This article may explain part of the reason.

https://adelaideaz.com/articles/sizes-and-name-of-beer-glasses-----pints--schooners--butcher-------in--south-australia--drink-alone-#:~:text=The story behind the smaller pint glass in,of World War I or 1930s Depression austerity.

Point is there shouldn't be any difference. A pint is 568mL everywhere. Well a proper one is, the yanks can't get it right either with their 473mL "pints". 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Point is there shouldn't be any difference. A pint is 568mL everywhere. Well a proper one is, the yanks can't get it right either with their 473mL "pints". 

The problem is that the pint is half a quart or an eighth of a gallon. Because the US gallon is a helluva lot less than a British gallon, which in itself is odd as usually the Seppos have everything bigger, the pints are by extension smaller as well. I'd like to see glass sizes like 250ml, 500ml and 1l. Everything else just leads to chaos and anarchy 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yeah Mexicans are what NSW call Victoria it's a bit silly when SA folk call them Mexican. And the Imperial Pint has been around for how many hundreds of years?

All of a sudden these non convicts come along and start re inventing glass sizes and names that have been in place for yonks. 

I can accept going from NSW and Vic and switching between saying middy or pot. But when we talk about changing names of glasses that already existed for hundreds of years well 😜

It doesn't make being called a Mexican really than insulting does it?

AFAIK the only penal colonies were in New South Wales and Tasmania.

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

The problem is that the pint is half a quart or an eighth of a gallon. Because the US gallon is a helluva lot less than a British gallon, which in itself is odd as usually the Seppos have everything bigger, the pints are by extension smaller as well. I'd like to see glass sizes like 250ml, 500ml and 1l. Everything else just leads to chaos and anarchy 😂

I'm quite happy to get an Imperial Pint but I'd settle for metric measurements.