Coopers Community

FermZilla butterfly valve

Aussiekraut

I'm finally ready to use the new FermZilla with the next batch I'm planning to make during the week but looking at the dump valve, it doesn't seem to seal properly. It probably won't have an impact on the beer but using it as a valve is pointless from what I can tell, as it doesn't close all the way. Regardless of whether I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise, the butterfly valve always leaves a gap. If I was to remove the bottom container to harvest yeast, while there is still beer in the FV, it'd make a royal mess. Can this be fixed by taking the handle off and readjusting things or is this faulty? 

Also, I don't want to use the pressure fermenter to speed up things, I just want it to ferment under pressure and maybe have enough pressure to enable a closed transfer. What is the pressure setting to set the spunding valve? 5psi?

image.thumb.jpeg.5578791351858a00345868a2efe18556.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.60ea7143977ccca08f1f64aee6ffc5fa.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm finally ready to use the new FermZilla with the next batch I'm planning to make during the week but looking at the dump valve, it doesn't seem to seal properly. It probably won't have an impact on the beer but using it as a valve is pointless from what I can tell, as it doesn't close all the way. Regardless of whether I turn it clockwise or counterclockwise, the butterfly valve always leaves a gap. If I was to remove the bottom container to harvest yeast, while there is still beer in the FV, it'd make a royal mess. Can this be fixed by taking the handle off and readjusting things or is this faulty? 

Also, I don't want to use the pressure fermenter to speed up things, I just want it to ferment under pressure and maybe have enough pressure to enable a closed transfer. What is the pressure setting to set the spunding valve? 5psi?

image.thumb.jpeg.5578791351858a00345868a2efe18556.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.60ea7143977ccca08f1f64aee6ffc5fa.jpeg

Not helping at all with your problem, but I got rid of my pressure fermenter, hop bong and all the crud that came with it. Those valves are shite.

Ive gone back to traditional basic fermenters, which I never had any problems with. To me its just gimmicks for the home brewer. Adds extra work for no results. I didnt see any improvement in my already good beers. Sorry for being pessimistic there @Aussiekraut

16 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Not helping at all with your problem, but I got rid of my pressure fermenter, hop bong and all the crud that came with it. Those valves are shite.

Ive gone back to traditional basic fermenters, which I never had any problems with. To me its just gimmicks for the home brewer. Adds extra work for no results. I didnt see any improvement in my already good beers. Sorry for being pessimistic there @Aussiekraut

I have never had any interest going down that path but obviously it works for some.

I have looked at them, it seems to me there are lots of working parts therefore more things can go wrong.

• Like 1

I have 2 Fermzilla's, I never use them these days as I always found them a bit hit and miss on getting a good seal. Due to being constructed of plastic they are prone to some distortion with pressure which in turn causes a lack of seal.

I also have a SS kegmenter and it is a pure joy to ferment with. Very sturdy construction, surfaces that are easy to keep sanitary and since also getting a bucket blaster - very easy to clean. My only regret with it is that I didn't buy the bigger 58l version which can ferment double batches. It is great for fermenting lagers at higher temperatures and therefore shorter ferment times.

• Like 3