Coopers Community

cane surgar

rtotem1

hello everyone its been a long time  making  beer. I have and cooper draft beer mix i bought at the store and i have 500g of light DME mix and bougth 2lbs of  cane surgar from costco.
I would like to know how much cane surgar i would add when making 23 liters of beer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rtotem1 said:

hello everyone its been a long time  making  beer. I have and cooper draft beer mix i bought at the store and i have 500g of light DME mix and bougth 2lbs of  cane surgar from costco.
I would like to know how much cane surgar i would add when making 23 liters of beer. 

That's up to you. You can add all or even none. Many people here would suggest add the DME only and sub out the cane sugar for dextrose (corn sugar). It's thought cane sugar gives a cidery taste to the beer. The more sugar you add the more alcohol % you get.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rtotem1 said:

That depends on what you are trying to achieve.

What are you trying to achieve?

I used to be a cheap bugger and just use a kit and kg of sugar, but tbh it's not really worth it for the disappointing product you get in the end.

If you don't mind something pretty light, I'd personally suggest only adding 100g of sugar with your DME, just to dry the beer out a little. But even then you could probably go without it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rtotem1 said:

You have 500g if LDME go and get another 500g then use the kilo with the can you will get a better result and be a lot happier with the finished beer

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rtotem1 said:

IMO it is not even worth mucking around with sugar for brewing, you should use Light Dried Malt or Liquid Malt Extract in addition to the Brew Enhancers - No's 1, 2.3 are designed for specific brews as stated on the tin of extract.

An ideal mix for Coopers Draught would be:

1 x 1.7gm Can Coopers Draught

I BE2

250-500gm of LDM

Hops: Amarillo/Cascade/Golden Cluster would all be OK. 

Sugar is using for priming your beer after it is fermented out to carbonate your beer.

There are many variations available for each brew & it is open for experimenting.

Suga used for brewing will result in a sickly, cidery brew with little or no head retention & taste foul.

• Like 1

The cidery flavour is probably more a result of fermenting too high than using cane sugar, unless it's a ridiculous amount. My first brew back used a kilo of brewing sugar and fermented at whatever temp with too little yeast in the middle of summer, tasted more like cider than beer. I have used it in a couple of brews more recently without getting this flavour, about 250g in an English bitter and 500g in a fourex clone I made just to see if I could. I used raw sugar in these instances. 

That said, I do agree with using it in a small amount or not at all, particularly if you don't have temperature control for fermentation. 

• Like 1