Coopers Community

Soft Drink Bottles

The only PET bottles that are any good are the actual home brew bottles. CO2 will leak out of standard PET bottles' date=' and the home brew bottles are treated with vinyl to prevent this [/quote']

Just was curious as a mate years ago used coke bottles somehow his turned out ok just wanted to check from other brewers for opinions cheers

Sorry but I disagree... I know people who have had their home brew in coke PET bottles with no adverse affects whatsoever.

A PET bottle is a PET bottle, they can be used as far as I am aware. However, obviously the ones made for home brew are darker in color to help prevent becoming light struck.

Sorry but I disagree... I know people who have had their home brew in coke PET bottles with no adverse affects whatsoever.

A PET bottle is a PET bottle, they can be used as far as I am aware. However, obviously the ones made for home brew are darker in color to help prevent becoming light struck.

Yeah I was thinking if i do use Coke bottles etc I would just keep them in a dark cupboard so the light doesn't get to them. The other question is what is the proper ratio for so i can work out how much glucose or even those carbonation drops in the bottles?

I agree with BillK. Most soft drinks have a long shelf life' date=' and I've never purchased a soft drink to find that it is flat due to it sitting on the shelf too long. They will hold carbonation fine, but just keep them out of the light.[/quote']

Righto Cheers guys I am really getting into brewing love it in fact just buying proper bottles is costly at the moment as i thought the same thing you never buy a bottle of coke and it being flat I suppose if you make sure the cap is on real tight there should be no reason that the beer goes flat.

I routinely fill a couple of 1.25L ex-lemonade bottles from each batch I make with no ill effects whatsoever. I make sure to keep them in the dark and try to drink them within 12 months.

Go for it!

What would be the glucose ratio be for a 1.25 or a 2L bottle?

Thanks too guys for the help again love this forum lots of great helpful fellow brewers :)

well the recomended rate is 8 grams of sugar/glucose per litre even though safe to go a little over it i used to put 11 grams of sugar in 1.25 litre bottles i stored in the cupboard as my testers were never too over or under primed[biggrin]

buying proper bottles is costly at the moment

Buy Coopers Pale Ale or Sparkling, decant beer into a jug and use the yeast. You now save on bottles, yeast and a beer. 3 for the price of 1 [biggrin]

If using cordial PET bottles I suggest to buy new lids.

If you want to prime anything other than a stubbie or bottle size then I suggest bulk priming just to ensure you have the correct carbonation in every drop and it doesn't matter what size then. [cool]

buying proper bottles is costly at the moment

Buy Coopers Pale Ale or Sparkling, decant beer into a jug and use the yeast. You now save on bottles, yeast and a beer. 3 for the price of 1 [biggrin]

If you want to prime anything other than a stubbie or bottle size then I suggest bulk priming just to ensure you have the correct carbonation in every drop and it doesn't matter what size then. [cool]

Thanks again Bill for the advice.

Translation - cordial read soft drink [lol]

Just one of the reasons that I love Tasmania [biggrin] [love] [tongue]

Yep we seem to have our own language down here, it helps one head understand the other a lot easier [joyful]

Translation - cordial read soft drink [lol]

Just one of the reasons that I love Tasmania [biggrin] [love] [tongue]

Yep we seem to have our own language down here, it helps one head understand the other a lot easier [joyful]

Will buy the new caps good pointer at least they will seal well with new ones Cheers

Hi Guys

New brewer here, having just scored my new kit under the tree... Ho Ho Ho.. [biggrin]

Lots of good info here to read up on before I start...

I've been collecting the Grolsch 450ml 'swing tops' to use [bandit]

(or I might even use them for the alcoholic Ginger beer)

Will see how they go... but not sure how much priming sugar to use.. maybe 1.5 Carbonation Drops each??? What say you?

Cheerz

Hi Guys

New brewer here, having just scored my new kit under the tree... Ho Ho Ho.. [biggrin]

Will see how they go... but not sure how much priming sugar to use.. maybe 1.5 Carbonation Drops each??? What say you?

Cheerz

IS this your first brew? Didn't you get bottles in your kit?

Hi Guys

Cheerz

Welcome to the forum Laurie.

The carbonation drops aren't that easy to break in half and even if you manage it, it will be a pain in the ass to bottle 23 litres.

You can try adding dextrose to each bottle instead or try bulk priming. Get yourself a second fermenter from bunnings and give bulk priming a go.

Not pushing the issue, just stating something to be aware of [rightful]

Yes a good Xmas thanks.

I wouldn't be using carb drops in anything that is not a multiple of a stubbie. Alternatively I would be bulk priming or as Hairy suggested, just measure sugar and put it in the bottle.

Hi Guys

Cheerz

Thats what i use in my grolsch bottles, Just cut the drops with a big knife. Tops pop of real nice.

Archived