Coopers Community

Muddy's Curse

Hairy

I had some spare Centennial & Nelson hops so I decided to have a go at Muddy's Full Nelson Ale. However, I didn't follow his exact recipe but tweaked it to put my own stamp on it.

Anyway, I am due to bottle it this weekend so I took an SG reading last night and the first thing I noticed was the smell in the tube. And then the taste [sick]

I have my first infection [crying] A brewing infection though, different to the sort of infections you may pick up from 10 guys in Weggl's spa.

I believe that Muddy may have cursed those that dare to deviate from his recipes**

Oh well, I have learnt from it.

** This claim is unsubstantiated. Actually the infection was probably caused by a dirty tap.

The curse is true but I am trying to get over my voodoo ways [alien]

As for glad wrap being the culprit for vinegar....well I don't believe it at all likely but then again pigs have been known to fly [innocent]

Warren - Any chance you can make you signature a bit smaller...not the photos but rather all the space under it. Is it really necessary??? It really stretches out my page [pinched]

Yes the rubber ring was in place, with 3 layers of glad wrap so as to cover it well and that's whats got me stumped. I'm not blaming anyone but I've been over everything I can think of and this is all I can come up with. I've done 3 more brews since and all's good again. Sorry if I've upset some [innocent] .

I for one am certainly not upset [biggrin]....just a little dismayed [crying]

3 sheets of glad wrap is too much....1 is more than enough [rightful]

As for the curse thing. It occurred to me that because the Full Nelson is just a recipe stolen from PB2 and tweaked maybe the curse comes from Paul, the grandmaster himself [unsure]

As for the curse thing. It occurred to me that because the Full Nelson is just a recipe stolen from PB2 and tweaked maybe the curse comes from Paul' date=' the grandmaster himself[/quote']

I apologise for attributing the curse to you Muddy. I just jumped to that conclusion because I knew there was a strange voodoo cult on the Northern Beaches.

But now I have realised that they are actually just Manly Sea-Eagles supporters.

I am filthy about the infection though. I was hoping to have this brew ready to try during the new year break. And now I can't brew until after Christmas because the wife has commandeered the brewing fridge to store Christmas hams and drinks [crying]

I am fairly certain the infection came from the tap. I soak the tap in starsan but unless it is pulled apart it doesn't get inbetween the parts. I think I will buy a new tap every few months from now on.

Assuming you have the old style of tap and in case you weren't aware, you can pull them apart if you wasn't. However, for a couple of dollars every couple of months isn't much either.

I am dreading my first infection, I know I would be shattered!![pinched]

....1 is more than enough [rightful]

Sorry to split hairs, but if 1 is more than enough, how many is enough? [crying]

I am on your side though, I use gladwrap & have not had any issues at all. In fact I couldn't recommend it highly enough to anyone contemplating changing to it.

Hairy, I agree with Bill. I would be gutted if I got an infection when I was planning to have a brew ready for the new year break.

Archived