Coopers Community

Back to Home Brewing after 16 years

SamL3

Hello to All,

It has been 16 years since I made my last batch, you know how it goes, marriage kids etc... Anyways getting close to bottling my first batch of English bitter, added 500g of LME, and 500g of dextrose to the primary. It has been in the primary for 7 days now, and things have slowed down quite a bit, will be taking a SG reading today and then tomorrow to confirm the final SG before bottling. Hope things work out, will keep everone posted, I will be starting a Ale very soon, and my idea is do with 1kg of LME and no dextrose, except for priming...Thoughts?

Hi Sam welcome back [biggrin] i am also one who wandered away due to time constraints etc.

I would leave the brew in the primary for another week to let the yeast clean up and then bottle, you will find its well worth it

cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, the hard part as always is waiting, as this is my first batch in a very long time I am very excited. I am going to start another batch this weekend, and take your advice and let things mellow for a little longer, right now the primary is sitting at 23 degrees, with the assistance of a brewers belt. I guess I will just have to force myself to continue sampling the wonderful microbrew that is located just down the road from me, it will be difficult but I am sure I can manage...Cheers[w00t]

Hi Sam,

Welcome Back. I'm glad to see another Canuck around the Guild.

What Tony said about waiting another week is the recommended norm on this site. It really is worth the wait.

I'm wondering what your temperatures would be if you didn't use a heat belt? 23C is OK but 18-21 is best for the kit yeast. You will find makes a huge difference.

If I were you I'd try to build up the stocks as fast as you can. A 2 month old beer is a far stretch better than a 2 week old beer.

By the way, What is the name of the brewery done the street in Muskoka?

Welcome back Sam

+1 for 1kg LDM in brew and Dextrose (or plain white sugar) for priming. Most of the time depending your tastes of course.

Salt, egg, tomato juice....... I worry about you lot on the other side of the globe [sick]

Thanks for all of the advice. I am waiting as much as it pains me. I will take a SG reading tonight just to see how things are progessing, but will plan to botle next weekend. The name of the brewery just down the road from me is "Muskoka Cottage Brewery", they have just come out with one of thier seasonal brews, double chocolate cranberry stout, lip smaking goodness, partook in a couple last night, this is seriously my favorite time of year. Cheers

Update on how things are so far, my OG was 1.040, 2 days ago the SG was 1.010, just measured at we are now sitting at 1.009, took a small sip, and it tastes very dry, I guess that was due to me adding the dextrose in the beginning of the primary, I am going to let it continue and take another SG reading in a couple of days, but if things stay the same my final ABV sould be around 4 % before priming correct? I have some concerns on taste, apart from dextrose as a priming sugar, can anyone recomend something that will lend itself to a english bitter, I added no hops, and orginally pitched with 500g of LME and 500g of dextrose. Or should I not worry and let things age appropriatly in the bottle.

If your OG was 1040 and your current SG is 1009 and if it stays at 1009 then your ABV will be 4.2% and if you bottle then you should get 4.7%

I think it is interesting that with a SG at 1009 you seem to think it is very dry. Obviously the lower the gravity reading then the drier the beer, nevertheless, everyone has different tastes. However, I would personally consider 1009 to be about "average" but that is to my taste.

I reckon it is too late to make this beer any closer to an English Bitter so would let this one age appropriately.

Cheers Bill for the feedback, After the first taste I did try it again, and it did taste much better, as mentioned it has been a long time since I have done this, so perhaps my palate has gotten used to the bottle beers purchased at the store, My plan is prime with 200g of Dex, too much, too little? Then let it age for about six weeks, and of course sample a bottle once a week just to see how things are progressing.

Cheers Again...Sam

Also try to carbonate in line with the style.

English Bitters are usually low to moderately carbonated.

It is really down to your taste but I prefer them with low carbonation and drunk a little warmer.

EDIT - yeah, what Muddy said (damn).

Bottling day, primed with 100g of dextrose, will give things a week before the first taste out of the bottle. While bottling of course I had a little slip, the second week in the primary makes a huge differance, thanks for the advice all. Now putting a Ale together with 1.5kg of LME and a Real Ale kit and no dextrose, should be fun.

Sam you really need to keep your bottles at least 18C for 2 weeks before they are carbed. 1 week is usually not long enough. Then the longer you leave them, to a degree, the better they will get.

Well done on your venture back into the hobby. You may even like to think about hops in the not too distant future. They will add another dimension to your brews and will certainly make them taste even better [love]

Hop choices will depend on how you are brewing. If you want to brew to certain styles or just for your personal taste/experience.

I usually stick with styles but occassionally I do some "outside the square" just to find something different [biggrin]

The hops I have been using lately for my APA's are Cascade, Citra, Armarillo & Centennial all of which I think gives a good aroma.

If you haven't ventured into hops previously I could suggest maybe dry hopping to start with at 1g/L then adjust this to suit yourself. I would consider dry hopping being the easiest way to introduce a bit of aroma to your brew.

You may like to try some of the Coopers other range of cans... I like playing with the Pale Ale, draught, Canadian Blonde and Mexican cerveza. They all tend to be a great base to experiment wwith imo.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been 2 weeks to the day when I bottled my bitter, I will be sampling tonight, will let you all know how it tastes. Since then I put down a Ale with 1.5kg of DME, and will be bottling tomorrow, as it has been in the primary for 2 weeks now. Tomorrow I will be attempting a tucan stout recipie, after reading several of the threads in the recipie section I will be attempting a stout with dark ale from the can with 1kg of dextrose and 300g of chocolate syrup, hopefully the outcome will be a nice little chocolate stout, which I am hoping will be primed in time for Christmas, thanks for all of the advice and ideas. Cheers...Sam

Archived