Coopers Community

Brewing Blunder!

ChrisB30

Hi everyone! New to the brewing game here, and it seems I may be in a bit of bother, it is now day 3 of the brew, there is foam on top of the brew, along with all the collected yeast, so it appears the yeast is not actually penetrating the liquid itself. When I added the yeast there was tonnes of foam/bubbles on top so I am wondering whether this is the problem OR the fact that about 12 hours in to the brew I took the lid off - curiosity killed the brew?

Any help with this is much appreciated, can even get hold of a photo if i need.

Sounds fine to me.

The particles of yeast in the foam are normal, and the foam is a normal indication that healthy fermentation is underway.

Did you take a O.G with your hydrometer before adding yeast, and are you taking note as to whether the gravity is lowering?

Cheers, Mick.

As Snags said it all sounds fine.

Sometimes you have to open the lid, for example when you dry hop.

Just try not to do it too often and not in drafty, dusty type areas.

Just relax, it should be fine.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Should be fine as long as that's all you did. This was the reason I chose the "Window method" (glad wrap over the top, held on by the rubber o-ring) so I can keep an eye on the brew at all times.

As long as the brew is still fermenting, carbon dioxide is produced and adds a protective layer.

If in doubt, check your hydrometer. But it all sounds normal to me.

Mick.

I am guessing by the sounds of your post, you got a bit of "foam" before you pitched the yeast then pitched the yeast on top of this. This foam would only be from stirring and adding the water to your brew when mixing it up.

No need to worry about your yeast penitrating this as it will find a way and then you will see a krausen build up. A Krausen is also like foam. When this happens it is an indication that your brew is fermenting and after about 3 days it usually collapses.

In short, don't worry your brew is doing what is expected and the yeast will get stuck into it soon.

Thanks heaps guys for the tips/help! It is now day 9, the foam subsided on day 7, there are just a couple small spots of white on top now.

OG was 1038 at day 1, yesterday was 1016 and today was 1012, so it seems to be coming along nicely! [happy]

BTW, I have always wondered why there is no air valve on these kits etc?

BTW' date=' I have always wondered why there is no air valve on these kits etc?[/quote']

Beacuse, like airlocks they do nothing other than confuse new brewers. The co2 finds it's own way out. Some people are still stuck in the past ([innocent] ) but most people with pre-DIY fermentors just use cling wrap with the o-ring from the lid and don't bother with a lid and airlock.

Exactly what came with the kit just to make the coopers lager

4% is about right then. The secondary fermentation in bottles should bring it up to around 4.5%.

It is actually 3.5% + .5% = 4%

It appears he has already added .5% for bottling.

4% is about right then. The secondary fermentation in bottles should bring it up to around 4.5%.

It is actually 3.5% + .5% = 4%

It appears he has already added .5% for bottling.

Correct, I have included secondary fermentation. I wonder why its low :/?

The exact recipe that is with the kit. Its my first ever brew.

Thats all your going to get out of that kit mate, i think mine was 4.2% before priming

I just checked my notes and I agree with Tony. My first brew was exact to the kit and OG was 1032 and FG was 1006 which gave me 3.5% as well. [annoyed] However, it looks like Tony got 4.2% BEFORE priming so I don't know how. I like most my "normal beers" between 4.5% & 5.5%.

I just checked my notes and I agree with Tony. My first brew was exact to the kit and OG was 1032 and FG was 1006 which gave me 3.5% as well. [annoyed] However' date=' it looks like Tony got 4.2% BEFORE priming so I don't know how. I like most my "normal beers" between 4.5% & 5.5%.[/quote']

Your probably right Bill, it was probably after priming, it was a pretty mellow drop. I tried to prop it up with Nelson Sauvin dry hopped but i didnt leave it to age enough, gutsy me just drank the lot. [pinched]

The exact recipe that is with the kit. Its my first ever brew.

What exactly comes with the kit these days?

I believe it is the BE1 & the OS Lager Can, Carb drops, and the rest, ie. bottles, caps, FV etc.

Archived