Coopers Community

Adding Finings

CowanC

I do not use finings for the reason that a mate had problems years ago and I have never really felt the need for them.

My understanding is you must be careful not to use too much or you will end up with no yeast left to carbonate the beer in the bottle.

I tend to brew stronger, darker ales and am hence not worried about getting them crystal clear.

I favor longer time in the primary and cold crashing prior to bottling as I think it improves clarity and reduces the amount of sediment in the bottles.

Cold Condition long enough and you won't need finings. I have never used them and most of my brews are pretty clear. However, I will soon be using Whirlfloc but this isn't for fermented beer so irrelevant to your question.

I know a lot of people who have good results using Gelatine. I wouldn't be using egg shells , that's for sure!! Just think where they come from and people put them in their brew??? [pinched]

Just think where they come from and people put them in their brew??? [pinched]

LOL

As opposed to gelatine, made from hooves, bones and organs of pigs, horses and cattle? Or Isinglass, made from the swim bladders of cod?

I had a lot of fun informing a proselytizing vegan that her favourite Oxfordshire brewery, Wytchwood, put animals in her favourite Ale - Hobgoblin! [happy]

Like Chad said, 2 weeks in the fermentor and your beer will be much clearer - add a few days of crash chilling and they will be amazingly clear with very little sediment in the bottle.

Just this morning as I was transferring a batch of "Mini-Muntz Ale" into my bulk priming vessel I managed to knock the hose out of the tap and as the beer spurted all over me and the garage floor I thought to myself "Now that is some really clear beer"....[pinched]

Just think where they come from and people put them in their brew??? [pinched]

LOL

As opposed to gelatine, made from hooves, bones and organs of pigs, horses and cattle? Or Isinglass, made from the swim bladders of cod?

lol yeah I guess when you put it like that it's not a great deal different. However, as I haven't heard of egg shells being used, for some reason or another I was thinking that people mulch the egg shell and add it to their brews [pinched]

Cold Condition long enough and you won't need finings. I have never used them and most of my brews are pretty clear. However, I will soon be using Whirlfloc but this isn't for fermented beer so irrelevant to your question.

I know a lot of people who have good results using Gelatine. I wouldn't be using egg shells , that's for sure!! Just think where they come from and people put them in their brew??? [pinched]

I use the Wirfloc tablets when I do a mini mash and they work a treat. No strange things have happened with them in terms of spoiling the brew, just making it a brighter beer (no chill haze). I did use it once in a kit & kilo brew and it did make that beer a little brighter, not that it needed it, but it was a good experiment anyway.

I use the Wirfloc tablets when I do a mini mash and they work a treat. No strange things have happened with them in terms of spoiling the brew, just making it a brighter beer (no chill haze). I did use it once in a kit & kilo brew and it did make that beer a little brighter, not that it needed it, but it was a good experiment anyway.

Whirlfloc are kettle finings to help settle hot break and various proteins. I have no idea why you would want to waste/use them in K&K brews.

Archived