Coopers Community

Coopers- Sodium Percarbonate

Jarvo_325

Hi all

I have some Coopers Sodium Percarbonate to sanitize my home brew equipment with. I know with this product you need to let it soak for a while.

S how long do people leave it to soak? Is there an minimum amount of time?

Nick

I think you only need an hour or two. I use it to clean my fermenter and soak it overnight.

Even though it is called a sanitiser, I thought it was just a cleaning product, albeit a very good one. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I use Starsan to sanitise my equipment; it is a no-rinse sanitiser. Others around here use iodophor as a sanitiser.

Thanks Hairy I usually leave it over night too, but thought I would ask.

Your probably right, I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding sanitizers and Starsan seems like the best buy, but I can't seem to find it very easily in Tasmania.

Its a wonder Coopers would label something a sanitizer unless they believe in their product and stand by it.

For my first 6 or 7 brews I just used Coopers Sanitiser only and I had no infection.

Whether this was from good management or good luck I have no idea.

You can buy Starsan from HBS like Craftbrewer and have it delivered to Tassie. You don't use very much of it so it will last a long time.

I think BillK from Tassie uses Starsan. Perhaps he could tell you where he gets it from.

Thanks

I have done 2 batches with the coopers stuff and so far so good.

I'm sure you can Starsan down here I have probably missed it on the shelf. Sounds like best sanitizer to use as it lasts a long time and is quick and easy to apply.

as far as Im aware sodium percarb products requires rinsing, there is some debate over this...

for my 2c if any product has say 30% sod. perc.. whats the other 70%? = fillers and other stuff I dont want in my beer, if it (cleaners) leave a residual anything im not happy.

Starsan actually breaks down to yeast nutrient which I for one am extreml happy about.

I clean with products that do contain sodium percarb BUT I rinse with cold water after and then boiling water and then Starsan.[bandit]

Iodophor is another well respected NO RINSE SANITISER that is often used.

Not happy!!!.. I just spent 10 minutes typing a response here and the forum prompted me to enter my DOB and lost the information!!!....

So rather than go all the way through what I previously said I will now summarise:

The 2 home brew shops in Hobart do not stock Starsan. Yes I have it and got it from Craftbrewer do a search if you want a smaller quantity.m It dilutes at 1.5ml to 1 litre water so it will last you forever.

The HBS in Hobart will try sell you Sodium Metabisulphate, don't buy it as it won't kill everything. I buy a product called "Comet" (cheap version of Napisan) from Shiploads at Cambridge Park. It is about $4 for 3kg and I use 1 lid full in the fermenter. Fill the fermenter up with other items like jugs or spoons etc and fill with hot water. Let it sit 12-24 hours then rinse with hot water and spray with Starsan. Do not rinse Starsan just tip it out when you are ready to fill FV.

As Yob said, another common sanitiser used is Iodophor and although I have not used it, it is as good.

Coopers Sanitiser is comprised of:

Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate (Sodium Percarbonate) 88%

&

Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash) 12%

The Sodium Percarbonate breaks down into Hydrogen Peroxide and Soda Ash. Then the Hydrogen Peroxide breaks down into Oxygen and Water.

A small amount of residual Soda Ash is considered to be inert to the brew. We suggest to rinse with hot water but this is not necessary. [wink]

Coopers Sanitiser is comprised of:

Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate (Sodium Percarbonate) 88%

&

Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash) 12%

The Sodium Percarbonate breaks down into Hydrogen Peroxide and Soda Ash. Then the Hydrogen Peroxide breaks down into Oxygen and Water.

A small amount of residual Soda Ash is considered to be inert to the brew. We suggest to rinse with hot water but this is not necessary. [wink]

Ah thanks for the info PB2

YeaBill, I get that check you date of birth stuff quite offen. I should not have a age identity check, I look a lot older than 18, might email Coopers a copy of my pensioner card, so I can get an exempsion.

Wewggl

YeaBill, I get that check you date of birth stuff quite offen. I should not have a age identity check, I look a lot older than 18, might email Coopers a copy of my pensioner card, so I can get an exempsion.

Wewggl

Sorry mate but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Yeah, I'm getting the age thing a lot now and I have to sign in every time [pinched]

Even the old trick of signing in on another part of the site before coming to the forum isn't working - you used to have to do that once and then I would be signed in automatically each time I visited (which is becoming less and less as reading the forum in it's current colour scheme gives me a headache [crying] ).

Now what were we talking about?

Archived