Coopers Community

Coopers fermenters

weggl

Any of you blokes using the new Coopers fermenter? If so what is the difference between them and the ones you can buy from Bunnings for around $20-$24?

From what I\u2019ve read in some of the posts there seems to be tap troubles and sealing problems.

The ones from Bunnings with a bit of Gladwrap and a plastic tap don\u2019t have any of these problems. But at around $85 they must do something different.

Anybody got the reason to buy one?

Warren

You've got to compare apples with apples.

The Coopers DIY kit for $85 includes all the other gear that comes along with it ie. bottles, can of goo, sugar, a PLASTIC hydrometer etc.

It isn't $85 for only the fermenter.

But unfortunately you can't buy the fermenter on its own[crying]

Also, unfortunately I don't have one. But I don't think the beer would taste any better if I used one.

To be honest Warren, if you only require another FV then just get one from Bunnings. If you could do with another 30 PET bottles, Spoon, Bottle tops, Carb drops and a Plastic Hydrometer (+ a kit can and BE1) then get the Coopers FV.

Yes, people have had troubles with the taps on these but I haven't seen where Coopers have not come to the party to arrange a replacement if need be. My tap dribbles a bit if I turn it incorrectly, just need to be aware of it.

I would like to get my hands on a DIY kit although Im trying not get anymore bottles (I want kegs) and I dont need a PLASTIC Hydrometer (I use a refractometer) and I am not the biggest fan of the lager kit.

If all of those were ticks I would be definately getting one when I needed another FV.

Warren, dont you already have half a dozen FVs?

No Matty, I only have 4, but what I don't have is a BLOODY PLASTIC HYDROMETER.[pouty]

Regarding all the stuff you get I dont need, except the PLASTIC HYDROMETER.

Saw some on ebay out of the UK for around $21. This link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-400-1-620-Plastic-Hydrometer-3630-1400-Nalgene-NEW-/110388813177?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item19b3af9d79#ht_935wt_907

Reads from 1.400 to 1.620 is this ok for beer, a little on the low side for strong stuff, don't you think and to high for low readings?

Hey Matty.... you can get the kit. Sell the hydrometer to Warren. Do a toucan with the lager and sell the bottles on gumtree. Should be able to get around $40-$50 for all that. That then gives you a FV, Carb Drops, spare spoon and a BE1 for only $30ish and even cheaper if you wait for it to come on special :)

Anthony, with the old fermenters and gladwrap you can see through the top!

Matty, if you get No 4 you can use one for bottling and have 3 brewing at once.[biggrin]

Do the new ones make better beer?[roll]

Are there any cheap alternatives for a half size fermenter (around 15 litre )

They cost same price ($30) at Local HBS as a 30L and that irks me a little. Just playing with some half size batches at the moment and would like to use a smaller FV especially for secondary use.

Jeez I gotta get a pair of those undies to hold my sensors.

Im using the new fermenter and I must say that I think its great as I can see into it easily and it doesnt have a dreaded airlock, cleaninjg it is so easy as it doesnt have any of those annoying tight internal corners like the old school barrells[biggrin]

They cost same price ($30) at Local HBS as a 30L and that irks me a little. Just playing with some half size batches at the moment and would like to use a smaller FV especially for secondary use.

You could get the 30L one and still use it for half size brews and continue to use it for full size ones. That way it won't cost you any extra $$$. If you must have a smaller FV though you can always use one of the willows containers from Bunnings or just get a 17L cube. Bare in mind you will need some head space for a krausen if you don't use a blow off.

John, give these people a call. They should freight to Adelaide too. They have a 15L drum you could brew in for only $7.50.

Crown Concepts

John, give these people a call. They should freight to Adelaide too. They have a 15L drum you could brew in for only $7.50.

Crown Concepts

That is exactly what I would like Bill but think shipping to Adelaide would negate the cost benefit of buying locally. Great price and wish I was able to buy in Adelaide for even $15. Have plenty of 30L containers and I know I should not worry too much about using oversize container for fermenting but do and would like a small one. Might get a couple dropped off at a friends place in Melbourne and pick them up next time I drive over to the footy. Problem is I am a Power supporter and at the moment would not be driving to far to see them secure the wooden spoon.

Archived