Coopers Community

How to get rid of homebrew Twang

Jarvo_325

Hey

Apologise if this has been already discussed in Cooper\u2019s forum but I was unable to search for it and I wanted to ask people who brew Coopers as that is what I prominently use.

I\u2019m trying to eliminate or lessen that Homebrew Twang after taste I have in my homebrews. I\u2019m not really interested in going AG any time soon so I\u2019m looking for any helpful advice on how to lessen that twangy taste.

I\u2019m using the Original Series at the moment will the other Coopers range be better?

Is about strict Fermentation Temps if so what\u2019s a good temp range?

Will adding hops lessen the twang?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Nick

Thanks Mate

Would the original series Yeast make they twang.

What's the most versatile hop to use, I don't want anything to over powering or bitter.

Never have used grains, not sure how it work but I might have a look into it.

Hmmm now you have put me on the post, its a well known "flavour" in homebrew when I did a search.

I guess it might be citrus, or fruity.

I know my extract beer would not be like one you from a bottle shop, but if I did a blind tasting, the bottle shop beer would not have the after taste. best way to describe it would citrus i guess

Homebrew Twang is a furphy [rightful]

Flavour is improved greatly by regulating your brewing temps and by keeping to the lower end of the suggested temp range for the yeast you are using.

Muddy what type of yeast should I be using? or what do you suggest?

Also I want to start adding hops for a bit of flavour, what do you suggest?

The main yeast I use is US-05 (or the craftbrewer equivalent. I use this for most of my pale ales but if I'm doing something more exotic I'll just find the most suitable yeast for the style. If making a sparkling ale I'll reculture coopers commercial yeast.

Hops wise - It really depends on what you like. I mostly like amercian hops like cascade, amarillo, centennial or NZ hops like motueka or nelson sauvon. There are plenty of great hops I am yet to use but I'll get there. I tend not to use English or European hops much because my tastes generally don't go in that direction

What kinds of beers do you like? Maybe you could start with a simple dry hop addition to a prehopped Coopers kit. PB2s Motueka Slam is great or the Parity Amber Ale looks good (you could easily sub the amber malt with a light malt and the kit with a Pale ale kit if you want - It will still make a great beer. Another simple but good alternative is the Fruit Salad Ale.

Dry hopping is a good and simple introduction to world of adding hops and it makes a world of difference to your beer [cool]

Thanks mate

I will do some research into dry hopping first.

One question I would like to ask you, I know how important temp is for fermentation and tatse etc.

When I follow the kit instructions it states roughly, to mix dry ingredients with boiling water to the 2.5 litre mark (I think) then add the extract.

First question is when the extract is poured into the boiling hot wort will that affect the taste?

Also it states to pitch the yeast I think from 28 - 23 or something similar. Should I be trying to pitch the yeast at the lowest temp possible rather than like 28 degrees and then maintaining temp at around 18 degress?

always try to follow the manuf. advice, things wil work out best.

If your brew is sitting cooler, what you can do is run off say 200-300ml and add it slowly (100ml every 10 mins) to your rehydrated yeast.

ie rehydrate reast at specified temps following the instructions for that yeast. Leave for half hour.

stir in 100ml of your wort. this will bring the temps down a bit. leave for 10 mins and repeat till the yeast is within range +/- 3-4'c and then pitch into the wort.

This gradual reduction of temps will ease the shock to the yeast. You want to take care of those little guys, stressed yeast produce nast flavours.

Throwing the Can into near boiling water will not afect the taste.

Yob

I just noticed you are in Hobart Jarvo... where abouts?... I am on the Eastern Shore.

Anyhow, what Muddy has suggested is a good idea, start dry hopping and move up from there. Can't really go wrong dry hopping. A good guide is to put about 1g hops per liter in the FV at around day 3 of fermentation then tweak it to your tastes next time.

The kits say to pitch yeast between 21C & 27C. Best to keep it to the low end of the scale then reduce your temp to 18C-20C (for ales).

I don't think you will have boiling hot wort so assume you mean the few liters of boiling water you add to the FV at the start. You won't have any problems pouring your extract to this.

You are brewing in the same weather I am so try this next time....

add sugars to FV

add 2-3 liters of boiling water to FV

pick up and swirl the FV around to dissolve sugars

add can of goo and stir to dissolve

top up to 19/20/21/22/23L with tap water

this will put your temp at about 22C

Check it at 19L and if it needs more boiling water add about 1L. It shouldn't need it though.

Billk your a legend you answered my question pretty spot on and adapted it to my location. Thanks heaps mate.

I'm located in Austins Ferry!

So with dry hopping going by your method I would need approx 23g of hops?

Thanks again for the advice.

Also I have seen this somewhere[innocent]

THE BEER TRIANGLE: Thorough Sanitation + Fresh Ingredients + Appropriate Ferment Temp' = QUALITY BEER

I reckon you could add a bit of love in there and have a Beer Square.

Also I have seen this somewhere[innocent]

THE BEER TRIANGLE: Thorough Sanitation + Fresh Ingredients + Appropriate Ferment Temp' = QUALITY BEER

I reckon you could add a bit of love in there and have a Beer Square.

The quote you mentioned is in Paul's sig and is true. He would know!!

Hey Jarvis, now I know, alot of the team will say 'naughty', but I have found the following to really work. Just add 1 or 2 'hot' chillies to the fermenter - get those little red buggers, put into a pyrex jug with a cup or so of water, cover lightly with poly and heat to the boil in a microwave, or I guess, boil in a clean pot on the stove (to sterilize) and pitch straight into the fermenter. You will not notice the chilli (promise) but the brew tastes a tad drier than usual and the 'yeasty' taste seems to disappear. Try it on your regular brew and compare notes. I'm sure you will not be disssapointed. This is not neccesary for all brews, but works well on lagers and similar. Gaz.

The main yeast I use is US-05 (or the craftbrewer equivalent. I use this for most of my pale ales but if I'm doing something more exotic I'll just find the most suitable yeast for the style. If making a sparkling ale I'll reculture coopers commercial yeast.

Hops wise - It really depends on what you like. I mostly like amercian hops like cascade, amarillo, centennial or NZ hops like motueka or nelson sauvon. There are plenty of great hops I am yet to use but I'll get there. I tend not to use English or European hops much because my tastes generally don't go in that direction

What kinds of beers do you like? Maybe you could start with a simple dry hop addition to a prehopped Coopers kit. PB2s Motueka Slam is great or the Parity Amber Ale looks good (you could easily sub the amber malt with a light malt and the kit with a Pale ale kit if you want - It will still make a great beer. Another simple but good alternative is the Fruit Salad Ale.

Dry hopping is a good and simple introduction to world of adding hops and it makes a world of difference to your beer [cool]

+1 for Safale US-05 yeast. If you are not brewing lagers at low temps (12C and lower), this yeast is a brilliant one to use. When kept at the correct temperatures it doesn't produce many of the off flavours that some of the lesser quality kit yeasts produce, and has a very versatile temperature range - can go as low as 15C.

As everyone has already said, keep your temps down to the lower end of the scale (18C for ale yeasts supplied with most kits), as it will keep the yeast stress free and minimise the off flavours.

There are alot of very knowledgeable people on here, so keep asking the questions and taking it on board - you will learn alot from them and start turning out some quality brews in no time.

Hey

Apologise if this has been already discussed in Cooper\u2019s forum but I was unable to search for it and I wanted to ask people who brew Coopers as that is what I prominently use.

I\u2019m trying to eliminate or lessen that Homebrew Twang after taste I have in my homebrews. I\u2019m not really interested in going AG any time soon so I\u2019m looking for any helpful advice on how to lessen that twangy taste.

I\u2019m using the Original Series at the moment will the other Coopers range be better?

Is about strict Fermentation Temps if so what\u2019s a good temp range?

Will adding hops lessen the twang?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Nick

Hmmm it's not a "Homebrew Twang" its the taste of REAL BEER! [biggrin]

Chris

Archived