Coopers Community

How to get rid of homebrew Twang

Jarvo_325

I have only ever gotten that "homebrew twang" when using old ingredients or ferment temperatures got out of control.

The way I beat it is when I buy the kits and malt extract I always look at the best before date and make sure it is nowhere near reaching it. I also try and ferment at the best possible temperatures (18C for Ales and 10 C for Lagers).

Another thing I have heard that gives this "twang" is if you use too many simple sugars such as dextrose or white sugar. Since I only brew using malt I haven't really experienced this.

If I am using older ingredients I normally hop the hell out of it and it seems to disguise the twang (if it existed) in the brew.

LOL yeah I'm Tasmanian

I think most of the problem has to do with ferment temps, I followed the instructions on the can which I won\u2019t do again. Probably a better yeast and addition of hops would greatly improve the quality.

I must say with time the twang has improved.

• 7 months later...

Hey Nick,

Just wondering how you're going with that twang now? Has anything changed? If so, what have you done to make it change?

Also, Geez so many of you down in Tazzie! I might have to stop by for a few home brews when I'm on my honeymoon [devil]

Hey Nick,

Just wondering how you're going with that twang now? Has anything changed? If so, what have you done to make it change?

Also, Geez so many of you down in Tazzie! I might have to stop by for a few home brews when I'm on my honeymoon [devil]

Hey

It was never really that bad, but I could always tell I\u2019m drinking a homebrew as opposed to a regular can of commercial draught.

It\u2019s getting better.

Since posting this thread I have made a stout which is still young for a stout but is really nice, no twang at all.

I made a Pale Ale just after Xmas which is better than pervious beers but not quite where I want it to be, not sure what I put it down too but this may improve with some more aging.

I'm experimenting with Grain and Hops at the moment, I have this brew in the FV as we speak.

I'm also trying to be really thorough with keeping the temps low and consistent as possible, and also pitching the yeast around 25 no higher.

If all this doesn\u2019t work the next experiment will be trying a new strain of yeast.

Ah cool. Yeah I've been having some issues with this. My next brew is using all dry extract with some specialty grains, and lots of hops. Hoping to get a better result than my liquid ones.

oh and yeah there is a few of us from Tassie' date=' Its a great place for beer and brewing, not to mention the hop feilds[/quote']

jealous!

Ah cool. Yeah I've been having some issues with this. My next brew is using all dry extract with some specialty grains, and lots of hops. Hoping to get a better result than my liquid ones.

oh and yeah there is a few of us from Tassie' date=' Its a great place for beer and brewing, not to mention the hop feilds[/quote']

jealous!

Seems like your on the right track mate, I think a lot of it is really subtle things and making sure everything is clean and the temp is controlled.

I will let you know how my latest brew goes.

Ah cool. Yeah I've been having some issues with this.

Smithy, what issues have you been having?

I would be surprised if moving from liquid to dry malt would make much difference, unless the liquid malt wasn't fresh.

If you haven't done so before then you will notice a huge difference by adding the grains and hops.

I have a pale ale that's just under 3 weeks in the bottle and that was used from a pale ale kit and liquid extract. I know the cans were well in date, but I'm not sure on how they were stored prior to reaching my hands.

I did throw in some Saaz hops which I believe have given some twang to it, but I didn't put much so I am putting it down to this.

I have a stout that's about to be bottled and upon sampling last night, had the same twang to it. This was used with cans as well.

I've read that the dry stuff handles better with a bit of age and heat to it, so I've gone with that. As well as using fresh grains, I have 500g to put into my next batch so that will not only be an experience, but a nice test.

I really hope this issue gets resolved quickly for me, because I'm not quite ready (or allowed) to make the jump to AG just yet!

I have a temp controlled fridge, using better yeast, and use StarSan, so I've taken those reasons out for the moment.

We'll see how it goes I guess!

Another thing I have heard that gives this "twang" is if you use too many simple sugars such as dextrose or white sugar. Since I only brew using malt I haven't really experienced this.

This I reckon is a big part of it ... using malt and reasonable ferment temps (24c and below ... yeah I know, not good enough for the serious players). The twang being that cidery sugar twang.

My first two brews were twanging and twanging hard, I got the temps down, malt instead of sugars (including dex people say dex is innocent but I'm pretty suss) and that was that for the twang. I used to blame the coopers kit yeast but don't anymore.

Disclaimer: I'm the veteran of a mere five brews ... three nice ones and two disgusting ones. I also use dex if I'm reduced to using BE2 or equivalent but that's my final offer. No BE1 or sraight sugars.

Edit: Just remembered I'm ignoring one other variable, my first two brews were kit and exactly a kilo, the last three have been kit and 1.5 - 1.75 kilo ... perhaps the twang has something to do with yeast attenuation when pitching one packet of kit yeast. Also hopped the last three but do not believe hops would mask twang.

Archived