Coopers Community

Honey Bark Ale.

GaryF1

Thanks PB2, re the Amber Ale. So I have a 'Classic Dark Ale' too which I will combine the AA. I have also garnnered a packet of Crystal Malt grain, the supplier who proscribed a method of 'cracking' the grain, boiling in a hesion bag for 20 minutes or so and adding pot to the Wort. We shall see, but I'm up for a challenge. Might make up the brew tomorrow, but in defference to the advice of my fellow brewers, I'll be using the hot water from the Solar hot water system (rain water).

There is a method of sterilisation called 'Tyndallisation' (as opposed to 'Pasturisation' which ensures that 99.9% of the spoiling bacteria are killed off.

Sorry, but if I'm on rainwater tanks, and birds continue to fly here and tither, then I'll be concerned of whats in the brew.

Cheers,

Gaz

To avoid over extraction of tannins from the husks, don't boil the grain. Rather, steep the cracked grain in warm to hot water for 30mins or so. Then remove the grain and bring the sweet liquid to the boil.

I have also garnnered a packet of Crystal Malt grain' date=' the supplier who proscribed a method of 'cracking' the grain, boiling in a hesion bag for 20 minutes or so and adding pot to the Wort. [/quote']

This is really some poor advice, he should be slapped with a full hot grainbag repeatedly until he admits to being a numpty.

As PB2 said warm to hot water only (insert grain at 65-70'c and leave for 30-60 mins) also wrap the pot in a bunch of towells or blankets to keep the heat in better. Then boil.

Yob

Never boil the grains...just the wort it makes. To understand this a bit better go to the BYO web site for a better understanding of steeping grains, when done go back to the shop/brewshop and ask the guy why he brought the shop and he'll proberbly tell you his acounant said its a good buiness to buy.[annoyed]

Thanks Yob, PB2, Jasond4 and BillK for keeping an eye out for me. Yeah, I'm sure he said boil, but maybe I miss heard him. Will probably sort this brew out Friday night after work. I intend 'steeping' about 100 to 200g grain for the brew. Do you agree with cracking the husks for 'steeping'? Is to much Crystal Malt - too much?

Yeah, you will need the crack the grains first. You can use a rolling pin to do this.

100 to 200g isn't too much. It should be fine. I would probably go with 200g and see how it turns out.

But if you are using amber malt then I wouldn't go much higher; it might be a bit sweet. But you won't do too much damage with 200g.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tiss done. Approx 200g Crystal grains, rolled with the pin and into the hesh bag. On the stove for about a 45mins steep, then boil the liquor, before pitching into the fermenter. I've always 'struggled' with brews that don't use a dextrose based adjunct, so I live in hope! Oh, and about 150g of honey. She's coming along well, at about 20C. I'll do a hydro/taste test in a few days. The journey begins.

The last lot of Crystal a bought was pre milled, have i done the wrong thing?

Weggl

If you don't have a mill then getting it premilled is fine. I suggest not to buy large amounts though as fresh is best.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Honey Bark.

First comment, she's a slow one. The temps here in the South West of WA have barely cracked 20C for the past fortnight, the house is cold, so I am using a brew mat. Brew temp is about 20C.

Ale burst into life pretty well. Using a Safale-04 yeast, preferred brew temps 14-24C.

Pitched-25/07 SG=1050

28/07 SG=1020

31/07 SG=1016

4/08 SG=1014

What encouraged me to text was I just heard the airlock bubble, in other words, still active. Will test again tomorrow (7/8).

Taste from the fermenter is great, so fingers crossed. Beer is like chickens, you cant count them/it, before it hatches. A good thing about testing your SG is that the 'ring aound the collar' (sorry, I can't remember the name we give the 'scum' is), is separted from the brew. Can definately taste the Crystal, brew looks clear [cool]

Archived