Coopers Community

Steeping Grains

Snags

Hi guys.

I'm just about to get some grains and hops to do my first extract beer.

I'm getting the stuff from "Craftbrewer" and was just clarifying what's involved with the different grains. The two different grains have either "mash" or "steep" next to them.

The grains that have "steep" next to them, are they already pre-mashed?

you are kind of on the right track, they have already been malted and so only require a hot bath (1 hr @ 60-65'c as I understand it is about right)to extract the malty goodness, mmm that smell.. unmalted grains require you to 'mash' at certain temps to achieve different things, more or less fermentables or a combination. The process of 'mashing' is converting the starches into sugars. Malted grain has this done for you.[love]

Im a big fan of adding steeped grains to my kit brews and I rekon it does wonders for them.. I did this tonight with a light crystal and carapils injection to a CPA kit... mmmmm gonna dry hop that mumma good[ninja]

Nice, thanks Yob.

Do you just use an ordinary stove top and pot and a thermometer? Or do you have a thermostat controlled brewing pot?

How critical is the temp? I Think I read that temp should be between 65-75'C or something for 30 mins? I'm not sure if I really trust our old electric stove with keeping a determined temp. [joyful]

You are both kind of on the right track...

Most malted grain contains starch and requires mashing to convert the starch to more simple sugars.

The grains that don't require mashing are those that have generally been converted or malted and cooked to the point where the enzymes are denatured. (No point mashing them because thay contain no enzymatic power.) So they are generally the darker grains - cara, crystal, choc, roast, etc.

Thanks Paul.

So, the grains just need the 30 min boil? Or do they need to be 'crushed' first?

The grains I'm referring to are Munich Victory Malt, and Rye Caramel Malt.

Do the grains need to be cracked? If so, how do you do that?

I asked the person at the Homebrew store to do it for me.

But if you have them already, try running over them with a rolling pin. Obviously not too hard to make them a powder but with enough weight to crack them open.

Ah ok.

I was going to get the stuff online at "Craftbrewer" as my closest local brew shop is about 1-1/2 hrs away.

The question was more aimed at people who have brought the grains in the same way, and if the have to be cracked. But it seems from the replies that it is the case.

Cheers Matty, rolling pin sounds pretty easy.

The grains only need to be cracked. All I do is place them in a plastic bag and as Matty does, I roll them with a rolling pin. As you only need to crack them there is no need for much pressure at all. I then steep them for about 30 minutes in 65C water.

A good method to keep them at temp is to wrap your pot..

Pot goes on stove and water is heated to 70'c, cracked grains (as above or lightly done in a coffe grinder) grains are added and stirred in quickly, lid goes on.

grab a blanket, or two, a small sleeping bag does wonders and wrap the baby up, use a bit of rope or whatever to secure. I also use a cork square under to insulate the base.

1 hour later the wrap comes off, grain is sparged and resulting wort boiled etc etc..

I steeped last night and with this wrap method only lost a few degrees throughout the whole process.. and I generally steep for an hour just to make sure I get it all...

Yob

A good method to keep them at temp is to wrap your pot..

Pot goes on stove and water is heated to 70'c, cracked grains (as above or lightly done in a coffe grinder) grains are added and stirred in quickly, lid goes on.

grab a blanket, or two, a small sleeping bag does wonders and wrap the baby up, use a bit of rope or whatever to secure. I also use a cork square under to insulate the base.

1 hour later the wrap comes off, grain is sparged and resulting wort boiled etc etc..

I steeped last night and with this wrap method only lost a few degrees throughout the whole process.. and I generally steep for an hour just to make sure I get it all...

Yob

I believe that keeping temperature stable is not very important for steeping specialty grains. Infact you can even steep them in cold water (overnight) then boil the resulting liquid. The temperature range of 65-75C is just to ensure a faster extraction of sugars from the grain (due to the higher solubility at warmer temperatures), but not too high to extract tannins. For steeping I just heat the water up to around 70C, turn off the heat, chuck in the bag of grains and let it sit for half an hour then take them out. Don't worry about monitoring the temperature the whole time.

"For steeping I just heat the water up to around 70C, turn off the heat, chuck in the bag of grains and let it sit for half an hour then take them out."

This sounds even better! [joyful]

Cheers guys!

My method is even less scientific than Biermoasta.

I boil the water, then turn the flame off and leave for a few minutes. I then put the grains in, cover with a lid and leave for 30 minutes.

It may not be technically correct but I haven't had any problems yet.

I apologise in advance for all you dirty minded blokes[devil] , but does everyone do the teabag[joyful] or jiggle with the malt while is steeping, or just plain old leave it about it's own business?

Also, I have a coffee grinder, is there anyone who would advise against using it to 'crack' the grains?

I think the coffee grinder, even at its most coarse, will probably grind it into a powder (like ground coffee).

You only need to crack the grains, which is really easy with a rolling pin. If you don't have one of those you can use a can of malt to crack them.

I'd advise against the coffee grinder as it'll be hard to just crack them. I put them in a bag and give them a using my pestle and mortar.

I usually do my steeping in a 1 litre coffee plunger I just add water a couple of munutes off the boil to the grain let it steep without any interference before pouring off the resulting "tea".

Archived