Coopers Community

"Understanding Beer Making" book

Snags

I purchased this book at Big W ($15) in the Home brew section when I first got into brewing.

It seems I've picked up a few bad habits, such as using a fish tank heater, using hot water from the tap etc, because that is what this book suggested. "Without doubt, the most informative book written for today's home brewer. . ." seems a little misleading when advertised alongside all the Cooper's home brew stuff. Who else has bought this book?

I feel it's done nothing but led me astray with certain things now after talking to some seasoned home brewers, and I'm kinda pissed off I spent the money on it, and consequently now have to break bad habits.

Is there a "more informative, up to date" book available for home brewing?

I've also got the "How to brew" book by John Palmer (downloaded) and as a brewer just starting out about three months ago have found it very informative. It goes into detail about everything.

Good luck.[biggrin]

Yes, it's not such a great idea to use an immersion heater - they work okay but the risk of infection is greater as most immersion heaters are very difficult to get thoroughly clean and sanitised.

Best to avoid immersing anything in the brew unless you are dry hopping or similar.

As for using water from the hot-water tap, I guess this depends on the system and the piping - if the water smells and tastes okay, it's probably okay for making beer. I've made plenty of great beer with tap water, a blend from the cold and hot-water taps. [wink]

I suppose the only concern for me with water, is that it's from the creek. I followed the suggestion in the book to use water from the HWS, when I should probably just boil it.

I would be boiling that water first, the whole lot which makes it hard when its 25L or so.

John Palmers book is great, I got it for my e-reader at a fraction of the price and it is an interesting read. I recommend getting the latest edition.

Archived