Coopers Community

Using 2nd hand PET bottles

TheWarren

2 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

My capping equipment. I keg alot now but still bottle some brews. I reckon I've done at least 2000 bottles with this hammer and hand capper and haven't broken one yet.

I'll admit to having broken a few bottles over time, but for silly, easily avoidable reasons. They don't break in any dramatic fashion, usually the neck just cracks open and then when the beer starts spilling you know you effed up. The biggest problem with hammer capping is the extra effort it involves. 

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 9:12 AM, DavidM said:

Some good advice in there Bill,

But I'm a glass man and I've never had a problem with the bottle capper

When I first started it slipped one day and from then on I used a wood clamp to hold it in place.

Now I have it screwed to the bench where I Brew, simple and can be taken off if needed.

I also make a Ginger Beer for the Wife, that goes into PET's, I always find them slower and a bit more tedious.

I use this type of Capper.

Capper

I use this one, so easy to use, never had any problem

shopping.webp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

shopping.webp

I have one of those somewhere, it came in a kit I bought a long time ago, I did use it for a while until I discovered bench cappers.

They work OK but in IMO a solid bench capper is easier & quicker.

And the hammer saga continues............ 🔨

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Talking about bottles a big shout out and thanks to Classic Brewing who gave me 4 boxes of pet bottles today

They will come in handy as I usually bottle 3 or 4 before I keg the rest.

Now I can get a good supply of bottled beer for when the weather warms up and we go away in the caravan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Talking about bottles a big shout out and thanks to Classic Brewing who gave me 4 boxes of pet bottles today

They will come in handy as I usually bottle 3 or 4 before I keg the rest.

Now I can get a good supply of bottled beer for when the weather warms up and we go away in the caravan.

All good mate, always good to catch up with a fellow brewer, I know you will put them to good use & thanks heaps for the bottle of wine. Cheers.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2023 at 5:14 AM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

shopping.webp

This is a bottle crusher/neck snapper. I have one somewhere but I killed at least one bottle per batch using one of those. You can't beat a bench capper.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

This is a bottle crusher/neck snapper. I have one somewhere but I killed at least one bottle per batch using one of those. You can't beat a bench capper.

Yeah, I have one in the shed somewhere, it came with a box of brew gear I was gifted but I found it bit awkward, I have 3 bench cappers, so I won't be trying to find it.