Coopers Community

Coopers Stout hops

46 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm probably going to do a stout next brew. So far I'm looking at using 1.5 light LME, and thinking I'd like to give it a light hoppiness.

Any suggestions hop wise for what and when to put in?

To be honest, in my experience, leave out the hops mate. Stout is about the malty flavours. Maybe do a small dark malt steep? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm probably going to do a stout next brew. So far I'm looking at using 1.5 light LME, and thinking I'd like to give it a light hoppiness.

I tend to agree with @Pints on this.  Given the strong flavours (chocolate, roastiness, liquorice) in a Stout, it is difficult for any hops to stand out from that.

An alternative might be a Black IPA style.  Consider something like the Coopers recipe Shiner - Black IPA.  If you wanted a full sized (23L) batch, you could use:

• Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale
  • Coopers Dark Malt Extract
  • Light Dry Malt - enough to get you to your desired ABV
  • 25-50g Galaxy hops - in the same proportions as the Shiner recipe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I agree with @Shamus O'Sean Quote:  Given the strong flavours (chocolate, roastiness, liquorice) in a Stout, it is difficult for any hops to stand out from that.

I myself have never used any for that reason & have looked it up many times, but for interest's sake I found this article on a Stout that mentions hops. Of course, there are many others but I would think that is mainly aimed at advanced AG brewers.

Once we achieved a rolling boil, we added 1g/L of Cascade for bittering at the 75min mark of a 90min boil then 0.75g/L of East Kent Goldings into the whirlpool after the end of boil (wort temp < 96ºC) for aromatics.

https://blackhops.com.au/how-to-brew-a-stout/

• Like 1

OK, points taken. I do love a classic stout, but was just keen to use some hops that I have, as well as experiment a little.

So I'll probably play it safe and just do a can of Coopers Stout goop and a can of LME goop, BUT, I reckon I'd like to have a go at adding some ground coffee, like in this thread over here...

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 1

A simple stout recipe that the guys at Coopers developed years ago was:

Coopers Stout can, Coopers Dark Ale can and 1kg Dextrose. Both kit yeasts. 21 litres. 

They said it was pretty close to their commercial Best Extra Stout.

I have brewed it a few times now and can vouch for it being a very good stout.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

It's your first stout. Just add some malt and see if you like it. Then go from there.

Just repeating.  A coopers stout with 1kg of malt is a good stout. Try experimenting after u try that.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Vincent said:

Hops that work well with stout/porter are Fuggles, Hallertau, and Northern Brewer. For 26L use 25- 35g and steep it in your premix hot water for 20 mins under 75C because over this you'll burn off most oils with the aromatics. It pays to tie the hops in a mesh cloth and remove when finished.  At this low temperature you'll get almost no IBU pickup but the good oils in the 60-75C range.  I've been doing this for a few years. If you insist on using coffee, grind 30-40g and put in into a cold-water French press in the fridge overnight, then drain into fermenter next day. To increase mouth feel and smoothness you can also add up to 300g Maltodextrin. The Oldbloke is correct, go bog standard first up, everyone's tastes are different.

Thanks mate, good advice. In the end I kept it pretty standard, just the can of Coopers Stout, 1.5kg of light LME, but I also added a modest amount of espresso and 100g of lactose.

Just took a final gravity reading, looks like it's sitting at about 5% abv. I reckon it's gonna be a beautiful brew, nice hint of coffee and sweetness. Will be probably bottling it up tomorrow.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Thanks mate, good advice. In the end I kept it pretty standard, just the can of Coopers Stout, 1.5kg of light LME, but I also added a modest amount of espresso and 100g of lactose.

Just took a final gravity reading, looks like it's sitting at about 5% abv. I reckon it's gonna be a beautiful brew, nice hint of coffee and sweetness. Will be probably bottling it up tomorrow.

Sounds tasty to me

• Like 2