Coopers Community

BREAD MAKING

I have a box of Bread Mix that I am going to whack in the Bread Maker this afternoon & it is out of date, obviously the yeast will have to be chucked so I am going to use a sachet of Coopers Ale Yeast, I have done this before, but I can't remember how many grams I used. 

The breadbox ingredients include a 6gm yeast packet, but I am thinking I should reduce that to maybe 3gm or 4gm. 

Ale yeast is Saccharomyces cerevisiae so it seems that it would be suitable for bread making.

Any thoughts on the quantity of yeast I should use?

20230416_093444.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have a box of Bread Mix that I am going to whack in the Bread Maker this afternoon & it is out of date, obviously the yeast will have to be chucked so I am going to use a sachet of Coopers Ale Yeast, I have done this before, but I can't remember how many grams I used. 

The breadbox ingredients include a 6gm yeast packet, but I am thinking I should reduce that to maybe 3gm or 4gm. 

Ale yeast is Saccharomyces cerevisiae so it seems that it would be suitable for bread making.

@Classic Brewing Co don't toss that bread yeast, it will still be ok.  I am still using up a bulk pack with a BBD of October 2021 and it is fine (stored in fridge of course).

Make yourself up a poolish, basically a bread yeast starter in a mixing bowl first.  I use a couple of tablespoons of your bread making flour, same amount of warm water and a level teaspoon of caster sugar.  Throw in that dried bread yeast pack and stir it all up.  Keep in a warm spot for an hour or two and it will go all foamy which tells you it's ready.  You can then toss the lot in the bread machine along with the remainder of the flour and liquids (water EVOO etc.)  Don't forget to reduce the volume of water in the bread machine by 2 x tablespoons full and away you go.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Classic Brewing Co don't toss that bread yeast, it will still be ok.  I am still using up a bulk pack with a BBD of October 2021 and it is fine (stored in fridge of course).

Make yourself up a poolish, basically a bread yeast starter in a mixing bowl first.  I use a couple of tablespoons of your bread making flour, same amount of warm water and a level teaspoon of caster sugar.  Throw in that dried bread yeast pack and stir it all up.  Keep in a warm spot for an hour or two and it will go all foamy which tells you it's ready.  You can then toss the lot in the bread machine along with the remainder of the flour and liquids (water EVOO etc.)  Don't forget to reduce the volume of water in the bread machine by 2 x tablespoons full and away you go.

Cheers for that but too late it is already in the bread machine, I used most of the yeast from a Coopers 7gm sachet, I think that's what I did before. The yeast from the Bread Mix has been in the pantry but of course the other in the fridge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers for that but too late it is already in the bread machine, I used most of the yeast from a Coopers 7gm sachet, I think that's what I did before. The yeast from the Bread Mix has been in the pantry but of course the other in the fridge. 

Forgot to mention, just for an experiment I used 1/2 the baker's yeast & 1/2 brewer's yeast.

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

20230416_093444.jpg

Seems to be working out alright so far.

20230416_152731.jpg

20230416_152829.jpg

It's all a bit late now but I wanted to tell you I made hot "atheist" buns (no crosses) this Easter with some Tandaco dry yeast that was dated 2019. It was stored in our pantry so it would have encountered some not ideal temperatures over the years. Anyway, I hydrated it and it foamed up nicely and smelt divine. The buns turned out bloody well for a hack baker like me.

IMG_20230323_184039.jpg

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Malter White said:

It's all a bit late now but I wanted to tell you I made hot "atheist" buns (no crosses) this Easter with some Tandaco dry yeast that was dated 2019. It was stored in our pantry so it would have encountered some not ideal temperatures over the years. Anyway, I hydrated it and it foamed up nicely and smelt divine. The buns turned out bloody well for a hack baker like me.

IMG_20230323_184039.jpg

They look fantastic, mate!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Malter White said:

They look good Malter, well done, it is good to meet a fellow athiest, 😈

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

They look fantastic, mate!

Thanks, Popo. They tasted pretty good but were a bit heavy. I made a subsequent batch and learnt from my early attempt. Kneaded the dough a bit longer and let it rise more and they were much improved.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Thanks, Popo. They tasted pretty good but were a bit heavy. I made a subsequent batch and learnt from my early attempt. Kneaded the dough a bit longer and let it rise more and they were much improved.

Yes @Malter White knead plenty, let rise twice then cut into required amount of pieces and shape into buns.  Then let buns rise a third time and they will turn out beautiful every time at 180 C for 20 mins.  Glaze  immediately after they are cooked just as you take then out of the oven and let them cool somewhat before a taste test, yummo. 

We like to cut some of mine up in slice fashion over the next couple of days and toast them. Yummo +1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes @Malter White knead plenty, let rise twice then cut into required amount of pieces and shape into buns.  Then let buns rise a third time and they will turn out beautiful every time at 180 C for 20 mins.  Glaze  immediately after they are cooked just as you take then out of the oven and let them cool somewhat before a taste test, yummo. 

We like to cut some of mine up in slice fashion over the next couple of days and toast them. Yummo +1

Thanks @iBooz2. It's funny, you know. The recipe I found on the www didn't offer a baking temp. I just baked them at 180 because everything is baked at 180. Haha.

14 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Thanks @iBooz2. It's funny, you know. The recipe I found on the www didn't offer a baking temp. I just baked them at 180 because everything is baked at 180. Haha.

I will PM you the recipe I use so you can give that a go.  Not doughy / heavy at all like the commercial bakery ones are, mine come out and nice and fluffy buns  See pic on the menu thread.

Edited by iBooz2

5 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I will PM you the recipe I use so you can give that a go.  Not doughy / heavy at all like the commercial bakery ones are, mine come out and nice and fluffy buns  See pic on the menu thread.

Thanks mate but save your energy. I don't know if I'll ever make buns again. I might but I most likely won't. x

• 4 weeks later...

Latest spent grain bread.   Most of my spent grains actually get binned, or sometimes composted but I usually keep a cup aside for use in a loaf of bread and in fact I often also freeze one-cup sized packets for future loaves.  Other ingredients were wholemeal flour, sesame, chi and linseeds.   I've also recently been using a bread enhancer/improver made from gypsum, calcium carbonate, soy flour, vitamin C and amylase. 

Seems to do the trick. 

Image_20230515151010.jpg

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Latest spent grain bread.   Most of my spent grains actually get binned, or sometimes composted but I usually keep a cup aside for use in a loaf of bread and in fact I often also freeze one-cup sized packets for future loaves.  Other ingredients were wholemeal flour, sesame, chi and linseeds.   I've also recently been using a bread enhancer/improver made from gypsum, calcium carbonate, soy flour, vitamin C and amylase. 

Seems to do the trick. 

Image_20230515151010.jpg

Looks nice BS

• Like 1