Coopers Community

MJ Ginger Beer

My new neighbour has asked me if I could make her some ginger beer and since we'd like them to look after doggo when we are in Europe later this year, I agreed. 

I don't want to be a stingy bugger and get some Brigalow from BigW and am thinking of the MJ pouch. 

Has anybody ever made this ginger beer? If so, did you use the dextrose or the malt they are suggesting as an option? 

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

My new neighbour has asked me if I could make her some ginger beer and since we'd like them to look after doggo when we are in Europe later this year, I agreed. 

I don't want to be a stingy bugger and get some Brigalow from BigW and am thinking of the MJ pouch. 

Has anybody ever made this ginger beer? If so, did you use the dextrose or the malt they are suggesting as an option? 

I have made it but not MJ, I think it was Morgan's, I used both Dex & LDM but I have never tried it with straight Dex, as you know they say to bring up the ABV, but I reckon it would be a bit watery without some malt.

Mangrove Jack's Ginger Beer 1.8kg pouch contains the best quality fresh ingredients. Once filled, the pouch is quick-chilled & nitrogen flushed prior to sealing to lock in the fresh flavours & aromas. A richly coloured Ginger Beer with a delicious ginger bite some might even describe as a "kick". To make full strength alcohol add 1 kg of dextrose, or we recommend Brewblend #15 x 1kg for a little extra body & smooth mouth-feel. Alternatively, make it without any additions for a full tasting mid-strength (3.5%) alcoholic beverage. Makes 23L.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have made it but not MJ, I think it was Morgan's, I used both Dex & LDM but I have never tried it with straight Dex, as you know they say to bring up the ABV, but I reckon it would be a bit watery without some malt.

Mangrove Jack's Ginger Beer 1.8kg pouch contains the best quality fresh ingredients. Once filled, the pouch is quick-chilled & nitrogen flushed prior to sealing to lock in the fresh flavours & aromas. A richly coloured Ginger Beer with a delicious ginger bite some might even describe as a "kick". To make full strength alcohol add 1 kg of dextrose, or we recommend Brewblend #15 x 1kg for a little extra body & smooth mouth-feel. Alternatively, make it without any additions for a full tasting mid-strength (3.5%) alcoholic beverage. Makes 23L.

Thanks. What is it like? Like a ginger flavoured beer or like a proper ginger beer, which is no beer at all but fermented sugar water with ginger?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Thanks. What is it like? Like a ginger flavoured beer or like a proper ginger beer, which is no beer at all but fermented sugar water with ginger?

It actually wasn't bad, had a nice ginger kick but of course there would be other additions you could add, somewhere in the forum archives there have been recipes posted.

This link mentions adding fresh ginger ({at the bottom} & also says to add 1kg each of Dex & Brewblend.

https://www.australianhomebrewing.com.au/learn/beer/ginger-beer/

On 1/26/2023 at 12:13 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Made a Morgan's once, quiet nice

• Thanks 1