Coopers Community

Sanitising FV - Cracked it! (not literally)

Spursman

Been a bit concerned about using chemicals, enzymes etc in my old school Coopers FV. Got to thinking about a more eco friendly to do it. 

So, remembered that we have a quite powerful Vax steam mop. Removed the mop head (easy) and then blasted the FV for a few minutes. Was careful at first around the tap area as I was concerned about melting bits but needn't have worried it stood up to it fine.

Honestly can't think of an easier more effective way to do it.

23 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Been a bit concerned about using chemicals, enzymes etc in my old school Coopers FV. Got to thinking about a more eco friendly to do it. 

So, remembered that we have a quite powerful Vax steam mop. Removed the mop head (easy) and then blasted the FV for a few minutes. Was careful at first around the tap area as I was concerned about melting bits but needn't have worried it stood up to it fine.

Honestly can't think of an easier more effective way to do it.

I am sure that would be a great deep clean & tidy up in general, but the importance of thoroughly sanitising brewing fermenters & equipment still exists.

I would take a lot at these products to ensure total safety.

https://www.kegland.com.au/phosphoric-acid-blend-sanitiser-500ml-starsan.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am sure that would be a great deep clean & tidy up in general, but the importance of thoroughly sanitising brewing fermenters & equipment still exists.

I would take a lot at these products to ensure total safety.

Take your point, Phil but if steam sanitising is good enough for surgical equipment then it's good enough for me.

On 1/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, Spursman said:

Take your point, Phil but if steam sanitising is good enough for surgical equipment then it's good enough for me.

Now there’s a thought - a brewer going under the knife and checking out the surgeon’s sanitisation methods 😆

• Haha 2

On 1/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, Spursman said:

Autoclave sterilisation is like 120c for 15 mins. Not sure if the steam mop is capable of that but it won't hurt doing it that's for sure. Agree with Phil that I'd be using a sanitiser like starsan in conjunction 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Autoclave sterilisation is like 120c for 15 mins. Not sure if the steam mop is capable of that but it won't hurt doing it that's for sure. Agree with Phil that I'd be using a sanitiser like starsan in conjunction 

Thanks Greeny. I guess you and Phil may well be right. 

However, for the purposes of brewing research I will continue with the steam method only for the fv and report back after a few batches.

Thank you both for the input.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Green is right, not the same as autoclave.

But as I only rinsed with 1 or 2 litres of boiling water for many years I imagine it would do the job. 

Does it spray like a steam cleaner? 

P.S. you can always use white King. 😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Thanks Greeny. I guess you and Phil may well be right. 

However, for the purposes of brewing research I will continue with the steam method only for the fv and report back after a few batches.

Thank you both for the input.

You will find most people will use a proven, reliable product like this rather than chance not sanitising your brewing equipment & mucking around with laundry products - they are for the laundry.

kl05357_-_stellarsan_sanitizer_01 (1).jpg

• Like 2