Coopers Community

Beer and Covid

pdjhh

Ok one for the chemists - I put down a batch of fresh wort the other day following usual process. Later that day I tested positive for covid. My bre is bubbling away do you reckon it'll turn into 20 liters of covid or should the alcohol take care of the pesky bugger?

Edited by pdjhh
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pdjhh said:

Ok one for the chemists - I put down a batch of fresh wort the other day following usual process. Later that day I tested positive for covid. My bre is bubbling away do you reckon it'll turn into 20 liters of covid or should the alcohol take care of the pesky bugger?

Mate I am not a Chemist, but I am pretty sure you will be OK, if you followed protocol with the normal cleaning/sanitsing methods it will be OK.

Get well soon & Happy New Year. 🥳

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pdjhh said:

I'm almost struggling to take this post serious enough to answer without being rude. like you said it will ferment but taking into account you have now already got it would a few more germs hurt you in 2 or more weeks? 

As for sharing with others there likely isn't maby people around that have not been exposed to it.

Would you be asking the same question if brewed a beer then found out you had a head cold or flue?

I know right bit of a stupid question and good point re flu. Guess I would wonder but maybe only casue you've prompted me. Just reading alcohol hand sanitizers need to be at least 60% alcohol to kill the virus and I don't think my american ipa is going to be that strong! Not sure what to do. Wouldn't like the thought of a guest injesting a couple of schooners of virus laden drink!

20 minutes ago, pdjhh said:

I know right bit of a stupid question and good point re flu. Guess I would wonder but maybe only casue you've prompted me. Just reading alcohol hand sanitizers need to be at least 60% alcohol to kill the virus and I don't think my american ipa is going to be that strong! Not sure what to do. Wouldn't like the thought of a guest injesting a couple of schooners of virus laden drink!

Personally, I don't think it could be transmitted that way, but you can never be too careful. 

• Like 1

I think we'd be in deep deep doo doo if the virus was actually transferred easily in any processed food or beverage products. That's not based on any science just an observation. I'm yet to find any thing online at least that suggests that the virus can survive in food and beverages through the production process and that somehow it could be passed onto a person consuming that product. That is of course aside from the transmission which may occur via any human contact with the plastic, glass, paper or SS vessels exterior in which the food or beverage products are stored.

If it were me, I'd consume the homebrew without hesitation (That's just me so please don't be influenced by that opinion) and if I were that concerned about somehow transmitting the virus through the consumption of that brew then I'd not allow others to drink it. 

Above all else @pdjhh, get well, and have a speedy recovery. Take care. 

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I think even with food and beverages and most surfaces etc it was maximum of 2 to 3 weeks it could survive. Most supply chains appart from something like milk or yoghurt are longer that that.

Give it a month in bottle and I think will be fine

I'm almost struggling to take this post serious enough to answer without being rude. 

Change of heart?

26 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I'm almost struggling to take this post serious enough to answer without being rude. 

Change of heart?

No just trying to point out why I thought that in the first place but missed that part out at end about time frames etc.

Also sometimes takes me a few goes to get a post to go through like the site is playing up. The editor doesn't always bring the full content back. 

I also was not trying to be rude and should have left that part out. I do however wonder if people are genuine when ask things like this. 

But especially if the beer will be shared with others there needs to be responsibility behind it I suppose. I originally wrote the whole post at 4 in afternoon explaining all that after initial comment.

When I finally got the post to go through late last night I left that off the end.  I also forgot to clear the original part at the start after thinking on it more and hitting post.

That's why i have replied again this morning. It still took me 4 goes to get the post to go through. I have good internet connection and can't figure out why sometimes I have trouble getting it to go through. Does anyone else incounter this?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pdjhh said:

Honestly thanks to all for putting some thought in and responding. @Malter White's online search prompted me to look a bit more and I found this:

"In conclusion, our findings show that SARS-COV-2 can survive for 3 days in liquid medium..... "

From here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-00191-9

Thanks, that's handy to know. We've learnt something new today. 🙂 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I'm not the only one then some days it takes ages and I have to log on and off multiple times.

I've never had that problem

clearing the cache and cookies, or rebooting the computer is also a good place to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1