Coopers Community

Saison questions

Red Chester

Evening all,

Going to start a Saison tomorrow and I have two questions. Firstly, I'm very thorough when sanitising and sterilising, but after using a Saison yeast, anything else I should do when cleaning the fermenter? I normally user Morgans no rinse sanitiser, Just want to be sure that future brews don't get a diastaticus infection. Secondly, should I use a bit less priming sugar when bottling, as I understand Saisons usually are highly carbonated anyway?

Thanks and cheers!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Red Chester said:

Evening all,

Going to start a Saison tomorrow and I have two questions. Firstly, I'm very thorough when sanitising and sterilising, but after using a Saison yeast, anything else I should do when cleaning the fermenter? I normally user Morgans no rinse sanitiser, Just want to be sure that future brews don't get a diastaticus infection. Secondly, should I use a bit less priming sugar when bottling, as I understand Saisons usually are highly carbonated anyway?

Thanks and cheers!

Howdy, Red and welcome to the Forum.

Normal sanitising should do the job.  I had an issue in the past, with diastaticus, but I put that down to reusing a Saison yeast.  The original pitch should be fine.  Alternatively, consider Lallemand's Farmhouse yeast, which has the STA-1 gene, which supposedly leads to diastaticus, removed.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I’m interested in giving a Saison recipe a go. 
A patch of summer weather’s got me all keen for a summer beer with a higher alcohol content and reading about the Saison style, it seems to fit the bill.

Theres a few recipes on the Coopers list, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for my first effort?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

I’m interested in giving a Saison recipe a go. 
A patch of summer weather’s got me all keen for a summer beer with a higher alcohol content and reading about the Saison style, it seems to fit the bill.

Theres a few recipes on the Coopers list, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for my first effort?

Thanks in advance.

I did an Amber Saison recently that I scored 7/10.

• 1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde
  • 1 can Coopers Amber Malt Extract
  • 1 pkt Lallemand Farmhouse yeast

Was only 4.5% ABV though.  Maybe add a can of Light Malt Extract at it for greater ABV.

• Like 2

I always recommend trying a commercial version of a Saison before committing to a big batch (if you haven't already). It's a bit too much for a lot of my mates when I make one. Maybe I just make bad saisons though.

In terms of infection, Lallemand make a farmhouse yeast that doesn't carry the diastaticus part. If you use a yeast that has it, I've read a seperate sanitise with iodophor and then starsan is worth doing. I did that when using Belle Saison a few times and haven't had a problem. People seem to be ok with just a single clean and sanitise also though. I just preferred the caution.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I did an Amber Saison recently that I scored 7/10.

• 1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde
  • 1 can Coopers Amber Malt Extract
  • 1 pkt Lallemand Farmhouse yeast

Was only 4.5% ABV though.  Maybe add a can of Light Malt Extract at it for greater ABV.

Looking good.

Thanks for that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

I always recommend trying a commercial version of a Saison before committing to a big batch (if you haven't already). It's a bit too much for a lot of my mates when I make one. Maybe I just make bad saisons though.

In terms of infection, Lallemand make a farmhouse yeast that doesn't carry the diastaticus part. If you use a yeast that has it, I've read a seperate sanitise with iodophor and then starsan is worth doing. I did that when using Belle Saison a few times and haven't had a problem. People seem to be ok with just a single clean and sanitise also though. I just preferred the caution.

Yeah, it’s funny you don’t hear about diastaticus unless you delve into a forum like this one.

Tips much appreciated.

Edited by Mackbrew
  • Like 3

I’m about to make one. I have a tin of Coopers Amber Ale, a Munton’s Wheat (I can’t source the Coopers version here), 500g of LDM, and a 25g coffee/plunger worth of Saaz pellets. It’s the Coopers recipe but with amber instead of COPA. 
The yeast is Lallemans I think. 
I’ll set it off in the fridge set at around 24C tomorrow and probably keg or bottle it in the New Year when I get back from the hols. It’s about the thirs season I’ve made, really happy with the recipe, the only difference is the amber tin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

I’m about to make one. I have a tin of Coopers Amber Ale, a Munton’s Wheat (I can’t source the Coopers version here), 500g of LDM, and a 25g coffee/plunger worth of Saaz pellets. It’s the Coopers recipe but with amber instead of COPA. 
The yeast is Lallemans I think. 
I’ll set it off in the fridge set at around 24C tomorrow and probably keg or bottle it in the New Year when I get back from the hols. It’s about the thirs season I’ve made, really happy with the recipe, the only difference is the amber tin.

Sounds great.  I did an Amber Saison about this time last year and it was a really nice brew.  Canadian Blonde can plus a can of Amber Malt Extract.  Fermented with Lallemand Farmhouse yeast.

Doh!  See my earlier post just a few posts above. 🤪

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1