Coopers Community

Plumb Stout

Oldbloke

I was going to do a Best  Extra Stout recipe but I have changed my mind.  🤔 🥴 

Years ago a did three or four stouts where I added a can of plumbs, pips removed. 
The first three were great, 😋 I mean, really great, from memory the last not so flash.  🤨  I removed the pips by hand, so I put it down to that. (hygiene) 🥴

Recently I found the attached recipe  where plumb jam is boiled and added to make an Ale. Sooo,  I've plagiarised that and intend doing the following in a tommorrow if i have time.

1 Can Coopers stout

1kg Dark liquid malt extract

500g LDME
125gr Corn syrup
1 jar plumb jam (boiled 5 minutes in 1 ltre of water)
Brew to 23 litres.

ABV about 5.5%

In 3 or 4 months I'll let you know the results.

Screenshot_20221016-145614_DuckDuckGo.jpg.a1f5670a82e5b499cb8e9843b6f6e453.jpg
Edited by Oldbloke
Typo
  • Like 7

I'm currently drinking a lagerale (lager tin/ale yeast) with canned mango slices. I boiled the mango slices including the syrup for about 10 minutes, mashing them up as I did. Then added PoR hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil. Strained it into the wort and fermented as per normal. It's a pretty good drop and a simple way to add fruitiness to a beer. It's my first attempt and I reckon I'll give it another go soon.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I'm currently drinking a lagerale (lager tin/ale yeast) with canned mango slices. I boiled the mango slices including the syrup for about 10 minutes, mashing them up as I did. Then added PoR hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil. Strained it into the wort and fermented as per normal. It's a pretty good drop and a simple way to add fruitiness to a beer. It's my first attempt and I reckon I'll give it another go soon.

Oh I forgot. I also did one previously with frozen passionfruit pulp. The strainer was great for keeping the seeds out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beach_life said:

Any reason for the boil?

For a couple of reasons. To use heat to kill off any potential nasties in the mango tin, it made the mangoes a bit mushier and easier to get through the strainer and I thought I could do a hops addition in the same process. Less dishes to clean. 🙂 
I don't know if my processes are good or not because I'm still very much experimenting these kind of things.

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

I think to ensure it is sterile.

canned, be sterile anyway

On 10/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, Oldbloke said:

jam

Not sure you want pectin in a beer,

10 hours ago, Malter White said:

I don't know if my processes are good or not

Of course they are.

For me the cooking of fruit changes the flavour.

I have thrown frozen mango in without issue

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beach_life said:

Any reason for the boil?

My sister (a tried, tested & trusted foodie) has always championed ye olde microwave as a quick & effective quick blaster of nasties in foods without adverse effects on their condition, flavour or nutrition.    e.g. she tells me to blast newly bought flour to eliminate pantry moth eggs 🤷‍♂️... .this girl can do a roast chook in a micro btw

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

Isn't that the way jam is set?

Yeah, it is pretty much the standard for any jams etc. I use it in the Summer when I have access to Nectarines, I make a Chili Nectarine Jam for use with cheese plates/cold meats etc. bloody good, you can make it as hot as you want. Any hotter than a Habanero makes it a bit too hot.

Phil's Chili Nectarine Jam 🌶️

Ingredients

6-7 ripe nectarines, chopped but not peeled (about 4 1/2 cups chopped)

2 habanero peppers, de-stemmed and rough chopped, seeds and all

1 cup sugar

1 box powdered low or no sugar pectin 50gms

Instructions

Put all the chopped nectarines and the chopped habanero peppers in a heavy pot or large saucepan. Add the sugar and 1/3 cup water. Stir to combine and heat on medium high heat until the mixture boils. Turn down the heat a bit and boil gently for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until the fruit has softened.

Use an immersion blender to partially puree the mixture. Be careful, as it is super-hot. I like to leave the jam with a few chunks still left in it for a nice texture.

Put the jam back over medium heat and add the pectin. Stir well and bring back to a boil. Boil one minute longer.

Fill clean jars with the hot jam. If you are going to freeze the jam, leave 1/2 inch free at the top to allow for expansion as it freezes.

Cover and let the jams sit until they are at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to a year.

https://rusticwise.com/how-does-pectin-work/

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, Oldbloke said:

I was going to do a Best  Extra Stout recipe but I have changed my mind.  🤔 🥴 

Years ago a did three or four stouts where I added a can of plumbs, pips removed. 
The first three were great, 😋 I mean, really great, from memory the last not so flash.  🤨  I removed the pips by hand, so I put it down to that. (hygiene) 🥴

Recently I found the attached recipe  where plumb jam is boiled and added to make an Ale. Sooo,  I've plagiarised that and intend doing the following in a tommorrow if i have time.

1 Can Coopers stout

1kg Dark liquid malt extract

500g LDME
125gr Corn syrup
1 jar plumb jam (boiled 5 minutes in 1 ltre of water)
Brew to 23 litres.

ABV about 5.5%

In 3 or 4 months I'll let you know the results.

Screenshot_20221016-145614_DuckDuckGo.jpg.a1f5670a82e5b499cb8e9843b6f6e453.jpg

Well, I bottled her today after 10 days at 19c. FG 1.016, due to the corn syrup I guess.  Currently keeping the stubbies warm at 19c. Will go into storage Tuesday I guess. Then it's just wait about 3 months for the first taste test.  😃

• Like 4