Coopers Community

bulk primeing

rtotem1

• 2 weeks later...

Tricky one to answer as not all honey has the same amount of natural sugar.

Shamus is probably right (he usually gives very good advice). My experience with said calculator using table sugar has been very disappointing. Recommendation was 170gms but that resulted in very under carbonated bottles (PETs). I've been stepping up the dose rate ever since and now sit at 215gms with very acceptable results. I think Aussiekraut mentioned the same issue a while back in another thread.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 5:20 PM, Spursman said:

Recommendation was 170gms but that resulted in very under carbonated bottles (PETs). I've been stepping up the dose rate ever since and now sit at 215gms with very acceptable results. 

215g - you must really like your beer super fizzy!  😲   

I've never used anywhere near that amount of table sugar in a 23litre batch.   The max I've ever used resulting in what I find to be a well-carbed beer (2.5 - 2.6 VolsCO2)  was a 160g.   

• Like 1

We go on an average figure of 70% fermentable sugar by weight when formulating recipes with honey in them and our recommended bulk priming rate is 180g of sugar per 23 litre brew. So that would work out to 260g of honey. Of course, you don't have to prime at that rate but we wouldn't recommend going higher than this if you're using glass bottles.

Cheers! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BlackSands said:

215g - you must really like your beer super fizzy!  😲   

I've never used anywhere near that amount of table sugar in a 23litre batch.   The max I've ever used resulting in what I find to be a well-carbed beer (2.5 - 2.6 VolsCO2)  was a 160g.   

Yeah, I do like a good fiz. Should have prefaced my comments by mentioning that I brew at 24 litres which gives me exactly 30 large PETS. Recommended dosing is 7gms per bottle @ 23 litres, so 30 x 7gms is 210gms. For the extra litre 5 grams is not much more.

Anyhoo I drink my brews at around 6 weeks and very happy (no gushers).

Dunno if this is relevant but I also cold crash for 3 days @0.2° before bottling. 

• Like 2

Maybe it's the English in me...   I prefer my beer "flat" and "warm"!  😄   But to be honest it does depend on the style.  A super fizzy stout for example is just wrong.   But I nice ice-cold super-spritzy "lawnmower" beer certainly makes sense on a hot Summer's day.   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Maybe it's the English in me...   I prefer my beer "flat" and "warm"!  😄   But to be honest it does depend on the style.  A super fizzy stout for example is just wrong.   But I nice ice-cold super-spritzy "lawnmower" beer certainly makes sense on a hot Summer's day.   

I'm English too, and I like a bit of fizz in mine.

180 grams of dextrose in 23 litres is fine. Only slightly less for my English Bitter & Stout. 160 grams or so.

When I first started making stout I read to lower the amount of dextrose for bulk priming.

I used about 130 grams. Way too flat & no head.

But you know, hey ho, we're all different.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Graculus said:

180 grams of dextrose in 23 litres is fine. Only slightly less for my English Bitter & Stout. 160 grams or so.

When I first started making stout I read to lower the amount of dextrose for bulk priming.

I used about 130 grams. Way too flat & no head.

It's worth noting that dextrose and table sugar of the same weight produce different levels of carbonation.   Your 180g of dextrose is roughtly equivalent to 160g table sugar.   I use around 140g sugar in a stout/porter  - that's about 155g dextrose so yeah, your 130g of dextrose in a stout might be a tad inadequsarte.  However,  having said that if you were carbonating to cask ale levels you'd be looking at a mere 65g dextrose! 

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2