25 minutes ago, davids47 said:

some help from you expert brewers

iam going to make roughly 10tl brew  with a Half can of canadian blonde

i have 100 gm of light dry malt and 50 gm of mosaic hops

i know i will need more LDM

its what rate would i use the mosaic at  and when

i only have a small coopers fermenter

just looking at making an easy drinking summer beer not to bitter

I would use the whole can to 11-11.5 litres & then the 100gm of LDM would be enough for the brew to be full bodied but not overpowering.

50gm of Mosaic would give it a nice hop flavour & of course there are different ways to add them. I would try 25gms in an infusion (teabag method) & add the other 25gms on day 4-5 either dry or infusion. If you don't want it too bitter just use 25gms of hops in total.

2 hours ago, davids47 said:

some help from you expert brewers

iam going to make roughly 10tl brew  with a Half can of canadian blonde

i have 100 gm of light dry malt and 50 gm of mosaic hops

i know i will need more LDM

its what rate would i use the mosaic at  and when

i only have a small coopers fermenter

just looking at making an easy drinking summer beer not to bitter

I think your plan is sound.  Half a can of Canadian Blonde made up to 10 litres will give you a 31 IBU beer.  Using the whole can more than doubles that to 71 IBU.  That would be too bitter for the type of beer you want to make.

The 100g of LDM (with the half can) will give you a beer around 3.5% ABV after bottle priming.  Taking the LDM up to 500g will make it about 4.8% after priming.  You can interpolate between those values to figure out how much LDM to add to get you to the ABV strength you want.

I am not sure of the best way to use the Mosaic.  I have not used it enough to give great advice.  The times I have used it is with other hops, so it is hard to say which hop and type of addition had the greatest effect.  I find the Canadian Blonde a nice clean beer on the slightly bitter side.  A good canvas to add to.  Similar to @Classic Brewing Co, I think your best bet would be to steep 25g and add the liquid around day 3-5.  Use a coffee plunger or Chux "teabag" in a glass jar.  Pour about 400-500ml of boiling water over the hops.  Leave stand for 20 minutes.  Then plunge the plunger and pour the liquid into your fermenter.

I would also store the left over Canadian Blonde in the fridge and use it in the next brew.  It will not keep well for months.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, davids47 said:

some great info

@davids47 I am very interested in the amount of dried hops to add. This morning I am about to start a 23l brew of Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract with Brew enhancer No.2 and 500g of Coopers light dry malt and Brigalow brand 12g packet(s) Galaxy Finishing Hops' (all I could get from Big W) . This is the first time I've made any additions to the basic Coopers kits.

I'm  thinking after reading the  suggestions here that I'll use 12g  two packets of hops ; adding the steeped bags and liquid before adding yeast; and leaving the 'tea bags' in the brew throughout the whole fermentation process.

Any comments; please sock it to me quickly, as I am going to make the brew in about two hours. I'm just cleaning the laundry now, and sterilising the FV etc. 

Best wishes for your brew @davids47.

29 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@davids47 I am very interested in the amount of dried hops to add. This morning I am about to start a 23l brew of Coopers Australian Pale Ale extract with Brew enhancer No.2 and 500g of Coopers light dry malt and Brigalow brand 12g packet(s) Galaxy Finishing Hops' (all I could get from Big W) . This is the first time I've made any additions to the basic Coopers kits.

I'm  thinking after reading the  suggestions here that I'll use 12g  two packets of hops ; adding the steeped bags and liquid before adding yeast; and leaving the 'tea bags' in the brew throughout the whole fermentation process.

Any comments; please sock it to me quickly, as I am going to make the brew in about two hours. I'm just cleaning the laundry now, and sterilising the FV etc. 

Best wishes for your brew @davids47.

Hi Jenny, I would mix thoroughly the BE2 & LDM with water in the FV adding water ( hot & cold ) to get the temperature as close to 24c as possible for pitching your yeast.

Add one of the 12g of hops - steeped, take a reading & then add the yeast,

On day 4-5 I would just chuck in quickly the other yeast & leave it there until fully fermented.

Alternatively just steep the 2 x pkts hops & leave them until fermentation is complete.

There are many ways to do this but you will find the one that is best suited for you with practice.

Cheers

Phil

5 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Cofor your reply at such short notice. I think I will bite the bullet and use both 12g packets of hops, adding the steeped bags and liquid at the beginning of the brew. 

That's completely OK & it will give you an added flavour/aroma to your brew, as you know try to maintain 18-22c with the supplied Ale yeast & you will be fine.

Just a tip, when I steep the hop bags in hot boiled water I use a glass pyrex jug (sanitised) & then place the jug in the sink with cold water to try to bring the temp down before adding.

• Like 2