Coopers Community

80s FRIDGE

Malter White

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would agree with that Muzzy, my old Westinghouse is circa 1990 & I now have 4 beer taps sticking out of it, it has outlived newer ones purchased at different intervals.

Yep! My fermenting fridge out under the verandah is an oldie. Even being mistreated with an Inkbird as it's controller it's still going gangbusters. However the modern LG I recently got from my mate with the soft ice cream problem, turns out my mate might not have been as silly after all because I can't get the temps right on it either. It's keeping drinks cold but freezer isn't cold enough. I make freezer adjustments and it affects the fridge temp. It's going to take some trial and error to get it right methinks.

• Sad 4

9 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Yep! My fermenting fridge out under the verandah is an oldie. Even being mistreated with an Inkbird as it's controller it's still going gangbusters. However the modern LG I recently got from my mate with the soft ice cream problem, turns out my mate might not have been as silly after all because I can't get the temps right on it either. It's keeping drinks cold but freezer isn't cold enough. I make freezer adjustments and it affects the fridge temp. It's going to take some trial and error to get it right methinks.

Yeah in the 70's & 80's when you bought a fridge is was something that was going to last a long time, take Westinghouse for an example, an Australian Company & still going strong.

Nowadays a TV, Printer, Computer etc are all throw away items usually after a few years if you are lucky.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

That's disappointing Muzz, You were really excited when it first arrived.

Hope you can sort it out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That's disappointing Muzz, You were really excited when it first arrived.

Hope you can sort it out.

Thanks David. It's not a complete waste. It's still given me room to store kegs and other drinks and although the freezer isn't working at optimum levels it still been handy to store things like hops and bread and make ice with. We just have to be careful with what we choose to put in the freezer ie. no ice cream.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah in the 70's & 80's when you bought a fridge is was something that was going to last a long time, take Westinghouse for an example, an Australian Company & still going strong.

Nowadays a TV, Printer, Computer etc are all throw away items usually after a few years if you are lucky.

This is worth watching - if you have the time. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=history+of+the+beer+fridge&qpvt=history+of+the+beer+fridge&view=detail&mid=C4EA2C3E8A247B0B9E11C4EA2C3E8A247B0B9E11&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dhistory%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bbeer%2Bfridge%26qpvt%3Dhistory%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bbeer%2Bfridge%26FORM%3DVDRE

• Like 1

That youtube reminded me.

45 yrs ago when we got married Mrs bought a Crosby freezer. (Yank)

We gave it away 20 years ago and bought a smaller Tuckerbox freezer.

Mrs got a call about 3 months ago from a niece asking if we wanted it back. Still going strong. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1