Coopers Community

Beer styles yay or nay?

Aussiekraut

Just as a matter of interest and probably more for all grain brewers here. Do you brew to style guidelines? Always, sometimes, never? 

I was just thinking when I saw the pinned post about Master of the Brewniverse. Beer comps are always judging beers according to the style they are. ECB, IBU, carbonation levels, ABV and so on. Sure, you don't want a stout to taste like a pale ale but I think beers should mainly be judged by taste but that's just me.

So, do we care about styles and how strictly? While I pick a style when designing a new beer or exbeeriment and try to stay within the parameters, in the end, I really don't care too much. To me, what's important is the taste of a beer and whether I like it. Whether it matches a certain style is really not a priority for me. 

How do you see it? Are you following the BJCP guides or your tastebuds? 

• Like 1

I sometimes use the BJCP to give guidelines and ideas for a brew but I do not ever think that I have stuck strictly to them.

As you said @Aussiekraut the best indicator of how good any brew is, is the taste and of course that is very subjective and in the taste buds of the drinker.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2022 at 7:57 PM, Aussiekraut said:

How do you see it? Are you following the BJCP guides or your tastebuds? 

Bit late to this one but I generally follow the guidelines but then make the beer my own depending on what I am after. It's kinda like cooking - there are basic techniques that work.

You don't want ginger in a bolognaise for example. Or oregano in a soy based stir fry.

• Haha 1