Coopers Community

Overheated my 34/70

Pomdrinking

Hey Everyone:  I recently made the Steam Beer off the recipe page and it calls for adding 2 packets of Saflager 34/70 and trying to keep the temp as close to 18c as possible.  I don't have temp control and most the time my brew room is about 22-23c and i figured that this would be ok.  I did a bunch of research before i made this decision and it seems there's a lot of people who make lager warm.  It was the Brulosophy temp experiment with exactly this yeast that convinced me it would work.  Unfortunately the day after i pitched we had a mini heat wave and the temp in my brew room went up too 25c and with the fermentation on top of that my FV has sat at about 28c for just over a day.  The krausen formed really quickly and has fallen back to nothing now (in 24-36 hours) and there's definitely still activity in the FV so i don't think i've killed the yeast or stalled the ferment.  And, i actually think that it might turn into a half way decent brew (it is a steam beer after all)  but i wondered has any one else had something like this happen and if so what sort of thing can i expect in the way of esters or weird flavours that might come through because of the high temp?  Thanks for your time, happy brewing and cheers.

• Like 2

Not sure mate. I did a brew here (Switzerland) but it was around 20 degrees most of the time. Some of the blokes  on the forum reckon that yeast gives you the runs but so far so good for me. 
A beautiful brew though ! 
Good luck 🍀 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pomdrinking said:

Hey Everyone:  I recently made the Steam Beer off the recipe page and it calls for adding 2 packets of Saflager 34/70 and trying to keep the temp as close to 18c as possible.  I don't have temp control and most the time my brew room is about 22-23c and i figured that this would be ok.  I did a bunch of research before i made this decision and it seems there's a lot of people who make lager warm.  It was the Brulosophy temp experiment with exactly this yeast that convinced me it would work.  Unfortunately the day after i pitched we had a mini heat wave and the temp in my brew room went up too 25c and with the fermentation on top of that my FV has sat at about 28c for just over a day.  The krausen formed really quickly and has fallen back to nothing now (in 24-36 hours) and there's definitely still activity in the FV so i don't think i've killed the yeast or stalled the ferment.  And, i actually think that it might turn into a half way decent brew (it is a steam beer after all)  but i wondered has any one else had something like this happen and if so what sort of thing can i expect in the way of esters or weird flavours that might come through because of the high temp?  Thanks for your time, happy brewing and cheers.

Hi @Pomdrinkingattached are the manufacturers statistics, I a assume you have already seen this but it does state that the ideal ferment temperature is 12-18c however a little above wouldn't hurt but up to 20-25 is getting a little high & you may develop some strange flavours. It may pay to try & cool the FV in a tub of water, try wet towels or even a fan to bring the temp down but the only real satisfaction here is going to be a secondhand fridge & temp control. I brew Ales during the summer at 18-20c without issue at ambient temps but Lagers need to be a lot lower.

Others may offer extra help but these are pretty much the guidelines.

Cheers.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=3650c467e0c6e6d72268c22db89c90169d2cf604d14420e8c447a9927c64e19bJmltdHM9MTY1NjM2OTE4NyZpZ3VpZD04MmRjYzBjNy05MTM2LTQwNDYtOTMwOC0yNjA0NzBiZDJiYzYmaW5zaWQ9NTE4NA&ptn=3&fclid=1dd20a18-f669-11ec-8f4c-ff0e1ad1f634&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9mZXJtZW50aXMuY29tL2VuL3Byb2R1Y3Qvc2FmbGFnZXItdy0zNC03MC8&ntb=1

Here's a little more on the subject.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=e82ec905cec871c550e09cd9ae471a28482ecb6e7403d7744455b5c8bfb0bd3eJmltdHM9MTY1NjM3MDA1NiZpZ3VpZD0xY2I5ZGRmOC00NDZmLTQ5N2MtYmFkNC1iYWE4NGE2ODdlNGImaW5zaWQ9NTQzMQ&ptn=3&fclid=23cb4b9a-f66b-11ec-b866-ebfd9c47bf5f&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9ob21lYnJld2Fuc3dlcnMuY29tL2xhZ2VyLWZlcm1lbnRlZC1hbGUtdGVtcGVyYXR1cmVzLyM6fjp0ZXh0PVNhZmxhZ2VyJTIwVy0zNCUyRjcwJTJDJTIwaXQlMjBzdGF0ZXMlMjByaWdodCUyMG9uJTIwdGhlJTIwZnJvbnQsaXMlMjBhbm90aGVyJTIweWVhc3QlMjBzdHJhaW4lMjBJJTIwaGF2ZSUyMGV4cGVyaW1lbnRlZCUyMHdpdGgu&ntb=1

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

It will probably have some strange flavours, but there's always a chance it won't. Just have to wait and see really.

I take brulosophy with a grain of salt, after inadvertently repeating a couple of their experiments and getting wildly different results than they did. In saying that, proper brewing science suggested the results I got should have been expected so I wasn't surprised at the crap outcomes. 

• Like 3

34/70 is somewhat unique among lager strains in that it can handle warmer ale fermentation temperatures and many brewers enjoy using it for that very reason.  The only possible caveat, based on some anecdotal accounts I've read was that pitch temperature may be a significant factor and that 34/70 ferments clean at ale temps when pitched cold.   Either way,  your temeprature did get a little too high and the fact that it occurred very early on could be problematic.    But like others have said, it'll likley be a case of "wait and see"...  fingers crossed!  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input, I'm going to bottle tomorrow. That'll be day 6 after pitching. I've tasted the samples a couple of times and I'm pretty confident that it'll be ok. Maybe a little fruitier than perhaps it's meant to be but unless it tastes like vinegar I'll probably drink it. Cheers again

• Like 2