Coopers Community

Steeping grains

Shirley Allen

41 minutes ago, Shirley Allen said:
Hi, I'm new to steeping grains and the mistake I just made was that I added the malt syrup first then the steeping bag of grains. Am I in big trouble?

If you are saying you put a tin/pouch of Malt Extract ( 1.7kg Beer ) into the fermenter with water & then added a bag of grains you could be. The grains are supposed to be boiled/steeped in a muslin type bag for a period & then the grain is discarded & you add the liquid to your mix.

I don't know if there is much you can do other than worry or chuck it. Someone may have a better answer for you than I.

Cheers

Phil

7 hours ago, Shirley Allen said:
Hi, I'm new to steeping grains and the mistake I just made was that I added the malt syrup first then the steeping bag of grains. Am I in big trouble?

Hi SA and welcome to the Forum.  As, Phil indicates, it is not clear what you have actually done.  If you added the malt syrup first.  Then added your water.  Then dropped in a muslin bag of crushed grains, it would be okay to remove the bag of grain now.  If it has only been in the fermenter a day or two or even three, it will be fine.  Do not leave the bag of grain in there though.  If you have ever smelled grains that have been soaking in water for a week or so you will know why.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

If you have ever smelled grains that have been soaking in water for a week or so you will know why.

I brewed 3 brews last week and fed the chooks with one of them and put the other 2 in the green bin, the bin went out today and i couldn't stop dry reaching from the smell hahaha, putrid smell.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I brewed 3 brews last week and fed the chooks with one of them and put the other 2 in the green bin, the bin went out today and i couldn't stop dry reaching from the smell hahaha, putrid smell.

I used to tip my spent grain into a compost bin. After a while I started to wonder what that god awful smell was until I realised it was the grains. Now I just drop them in a corner and spread them out a little, that keeps the smell at bay. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I used to tip my spent grain into a compost bin. After a while I started to wonder what that god awful smell was until I realised it was the grains. Now I just drop them in a corner and spread them out a little, that keeps the smell at bay. 

The house across the road from me was demolished, the only thing left on the block apart from surveying posts are garbage bins - guess where I put mine 😉

• Haha 4