Coopers Community

do i boil or make a tea

davids47

I have a 8.5ly mr beer just about ready to bottle , and its lacking  something , i would like to add some citra hop to it ( i love CITRA) 

And was wondering if i boiled some for flavor, or make a tea in a coffee plunger and add that , what rate of hops would i need to use and how long in the boil, not looking for bitterness, and same question on making a tea

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

I have a 8.5ly mr beer just about ready to bottle , and its lacking  something , i would like to add some citra hop to it ( i love CITRA) 

And was wondering if i boiled some for flavor, or make a tea in a coffee plunger and add that , what rate of hops would i need to use and how long in the boil, not looking for bitterness, and same question on making a tea

The Mr Beer cans come pre-hopped but you haven't stated which one, however you can still add hops depending on your taste, just like a coup of tea, let it cool down in a sink full of cold water before adding to the FV.

Don't boil the can of extract you will be messing with the flavour & increase the bitterness, made to 8.5 litres they are at their peak. If you go to 10-11 litres you will get more beer & lower the ABV & probably would need up to 500gm of extra fermentables, Light Dry Malt for example or 1/2 Dextrose & 1/2 LDME. 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The Mr Beer cans come pre-hopped but you haven't stated which one, however you can still add hops depending on your taste, just like a coup of tea, let it cool down in a sink full of cold water before adding to the FV.

Don't boil the can of extract you will be messing with the flavour & increase the bitterness, made to 8.5 litres they are at their peak. If you go to 10-11 litres you will get more beer & lower the ABV & probably would need up to 500gm of extra fermentables, Light Dry Malt for example or 1/2 Dextrose & 1/2 LDME. 

Correction, sorry I mis-read your post, I didn't notice you said ready to bottle, there is not a lot you can do know, I am sure it will be OK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davids47 said:

If your really not happy with it you could dry hop it being careful not to oxygenate the wort and you will have to wait a further few days before bottling. You could still do the hop tea I guess but wait till the water cools to under 78-80 degrees before adding hops to avoid bitterness as I think citra has a high alpha acid and add very gently to the wort. Up to you mate it’s your beer. Again which kit  ? I would probably go the dry hop option if your really unhappy with it. Being 8.5 litres oxygenation wouldn’t be a big deal plus being bottled also.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, davids47 said:

If you are not after bitterness, then do not boil, because boiling hops adds bitterness.

Your two main options now are do a hop tea or do a dry hop.  Either way, I would use 25g - 50g of the Citra.  I find that pouring boiling water in to a sanitised coffee plunger cools to around 80°C in about 4 minutes.  Then you are good to add your hops.  Leave them for 10-20 minutes then add to the FV.  Give the beer a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon.  Should be ok to bottle the next day.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

If you are not after bitterness, then do not boil, because boiling hops adds bitterness.

Your two main options now are do a hop tea or do a dry hop.  Either way, I would use 25g - 50g of the Citra.  I find that pouring boiling water in to a sanitised coffee plunger cools to around 80°C in about 4 minutes.  Then you are good to add your hops.  Leave them for 10-20 minutes then add to the FV.  Give the beer a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon.  Should be ok to bottle the next day.

Thanks       that's what i was hopping to be told, will get some citra tomorrow

Thanks to all for all input

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2022 at 12:34 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi all

I know this is an old thread but.....

Sitting on the sidelines reading this has encouraged me to add some Citra to a Cerveza kit. I was going to start with 30 grams as a hop tea, one day before bottling,  as per SO'S suggestion. 

My hesitations/cautions are around oxidation:

1. How easy is it to introduce oxidation to your beer is it at this stage? (One day before bottling)

2.How to add hop tea at this stage without introducing oxidation? (any successful techniques anyone has would be appreciated)

3. Is 30grams Citra too much or too little to start my additional hops journey?

Really appreciate this forum and its contributors. Most time I have a question it's already been covered!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chong72 said:

Hi all

Sitting on the sidelines reading this has encouraged me to add some Citra to a Cerveza kit. I was going to start with 30 grams as a hop tea, one day before bottling,  as per SO'S suggestion. 

1. How easy is it to introduce oxidation to your beer is it at this stage? (One day before bottling)

2.How to add hop tea at this stage without introducing oxidation? (any successful techniques anyone has would be appreciated)

Really appreciate this forum and its contributors. Most time I have a question it's already been covered!

1. I wouldn't worry too much, just pour it gently.

2. Pour it gently.

3. That depends on your total volume.

18 minutes ago, Chong72 said:

Hi all

I assume you are not talking about adding hops 1 day before bottling.  You may have missed the mark as you need 3-4 days before any aroma/flavour is evident.

Lifting the lid quickly to add hops is OK, just seal it back up.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I assume you are not talking about adding hops 1 day before bottling.  You may have missed the mark as you need 3-4 days before any aroma/flavour is evident.

Lifting the lid quickly to add hops is OK, just seal it back up.

They are not talking about dry hopping, as I understand it, but adding a hop tea, as per the title of the thread.

On 12/8/2023 at 12:23 PM, Chong72 said:

Hi all

I second @Kegory's advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1