Coopers Community

Dry hopping and the maturing of beer

Big Sarlikus

Hi guys and ladies. 
 For my first year as a homebrewer I made 6 different batches with different styles and recipes and one thing I learn - two weeks for beer maturing is not enough. ATM I brew “A Day For It” rotm in which a dry hopping required. I did dry hopping once and the last bottles of beer with it was awful (too grassy). I presumed it’s because of dry hopping process (the beer lost it’s aroma very quickly). 
So did anyone have some tricks how to combine the maturing time and dry hopping. Maybe hoptea will work?

33 minutes ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Hi guys and ladies. 
 For my first year as a homebrewer I made 6 different batches with different styles and recipes and one thing I learn - two weeks for beer maturing is not enough. ATM I brew “A Day For It” rotm in which a dry hopping required. I did dry hopping once and the last bottles of beer with it was awful (too grassy). I presumed it’s because of dry hopping process (the beer lost it’s aroma very quickly). 
So did anyone have some tricks how to combine the maturing time and dry hopping. Maybe hoptea will work?

HI mate. How long did u leave the hops in, and how many grams did u use? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

HI mate. How long did u leave the hops in, and how many grams did u use? 

My first and only attempt with dry hopping was a hop slam ipa (bavaria) recipe. 
I put around 35grams of Mandarina Bavaria hops in fermenter at a day 6 and let them for another 5days as a recipe said.

the recipe a do atm requires around 12gr of simcoe and 25 of mosaic to be added at the third day of fermenting (kveik yeast is used in this recipe, so the fermentations is really quick)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Sarlikus said:

My first and only attempt with dry hopping was a hop slam ipa (bavaria) recipe. 
I put around 35grams of Mandarina Bavaria hops in fermenter at a day 6 and let them for another 5days as a recipe said.

the recipe a do atm requires around 12gr of simcoe and 25 of mosaic to be added at the third day of fermenting (kveik yeast is used in this recipe, so the fermentations is really quick)

Ok I see. Try 50 to 70grams next time.  Odd about the grassy flavors, I also do 5 days and have never had that. Maybe the hops were old or not stored correctly? Or maybe it was the type of hops. 

11 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Ok I see. Try 50 to 70grams next time.  Odd about the grassy flavors, I also do 5 days and have never had that. Maybe the hops were old or not stored correctly? Or maybe it was the type of hops. 

Thx i have 50gramms of mosaic and 35 of simcoe, so I can load more than recipe said.

And what about maturing time? When you made a first try after bottling and how old beer can be with dry hops added?

1 minute ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Thx i have 50gramms of mosaic and 35 of simcoe, so I can load more than recipe said.

And what about maturing time? When you made a first try after bottling and how old beer can be with dry hops added?

Maybe 30g of both mosaic and Simcoe. The hops will fade with time I do know what u saying. I think u will notice the aroma more now with exttra hops. Try drink at 3 weeks maybe 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Sorry for my English. It’s difficult to describe what I mean.

The main idea - I like to mature beer longer than 2weeks ( usually I made a first try of beer after month). But with dry hopping it’s seems not a good idea because of flavour leaking. 

No problem. I do understand what u mean. I think with dry hopping if u want to experience the most flavor and aroma u need to drink them young. Maybe some of the other brewers can comment further.  Try using more dry hops I think that will help with the aroma lasting longer

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

No problem. I do understand what u mean. I think with dry hopping if u want to experience the most flavor and aroma u need to drink them young. Maybe some of the other brewers can comment further.  Try using more dry hops I think that will help with the aroma lasting longer

My experience is beer will always taste better after 4/5/6/+ weeks than 2 weeks, however if speciality yeasts & extra adjuncts are used it is possible to drink it after 14 days.

I posted photos in "What are you drinking in 2100" of my American Pale Ale after 12/13 & 14 days, it is beautiful but I would like to leave it longer.

My reason for drinking it now is the recent house move halted my brewing & stocks run out. I will have to buy some commercial beer as well as I would like these to last a bit longer until my other brews are ready.

I am no hop expert but I have found no matter what method used, you will get hop fade. Some beers are designed to drink early due to this very reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

I agree Pints, nothing scientific, but anecdotally I'd say the bigger the dry hop addition at say around day 5 the longer it's perceived to last in the bottle. I've started doing that so I don't have to start drinking the beers at 2 weeks. It seems to work, at least that's what my mouth is telling me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Maybe @ day 6, and 5 days might do that. I don't know though. 

9 hours ago, Mickep said:

I agree Pints, nothing scientific, but anecdotally I'd say the bigger the dry hop addition at say around day 5 the longer it's perceived to last in the bottle. I've started doing that so I don't have to start drinking the beers at 2 weeks. It seems to work, at least that's what my mouth is telling me.

Thx for your suggestions guys. Will try more hop addition. 

Another problem is kveik yeast. The beer is fermenting faster with this yeast, so recipe said add hops after third day of fermentation at 35C. I could achieve only 30C,  so it’s seems I should add hops later.

Did anyone use kveik yeast with dry hopping? Any tips and tricks?

38 minutes ago, Big Sarlikus said:

id anyone use kveik yeast with dry hopping? Any tips and tricks?

just  used this yeast in my current batch   and i dry hopped on the third day  as it was starting to slow down  and will be cold crashing tommorow 
for 2 days then kegging on wednesday

the problem you have is your not 100% sure where your gravity is sitting   and even at 30°c you could most likely get away with dry hoping on the 3rd day

so i would say your going to be fine    

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:
26 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK you got me on a typo, it was meant to be 2022 but I think you know that. 😬

Sorry didn’t mean to offend you. It will be great to brew a beer in 2100 👍

As for thread vs tread I think there’s a lot of mistakes in my posts. Maybe I made another one atm 😂

Edited by Big Sarlikus
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Sorry didn’t mean to offend you. It will be great to brew a beer in 2100 👍

As for thread vs tread I think there’s a lot of mistakes in my posts. Maybe I made another one atm 😂

You didn't offend me, it's all OK this is a friendly forum & we enjoy pulling people up on their faux pas, for example, it is Lager, not a Larger.

I am normally very careful on posting anything but hey we are all human but I could blame the computer 😃

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Hi guys and ladies. 

There is a thing called "hop fade". After about 6 weeks, you'll notice flavours fading and over time all your hop flavours and aromas fade way. It's a shame but there is one pretty easy way to prevent it: Don't let the beer get that old 🙂 

Most of my pale beers were fine after 2 weeks in the bottle and I wouldn't have had the patience to wait longer than necessary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

There is a thing called "hop fade". After about 6 weeks, you'll notice flavours fading and over time all your hop flavours and aromas fade way. It's a shame but there is one pretty easy way to prevent it: Don't let the beer get that old 🙂 

Most of my pale beers were fine after 2 weeks in the bottle and I wouldn't have had the patience to wait longer than necessary. 

Sounds like I shall have a party or two 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1