Coopers Community

8.5 ltr Mr Beer

Ol fart

I am currently about 8.5 ltr small batches. Obviously the mr beer 1.3 ltr tins are the go. As usual where i choose to live does not sell these. I need to buy 4 at a time from coopers online to get freight free This is outside of my budget.

question can i use 1.3 ltr from a coopers 1.7 ltr can for this exercise.or even a full woolies can.

i will be doing several different brews at a time, so there would be little or no wastage. Using a 10 ltr fv, if that helps.

25 minutes ago, Ol fart said:

I am currently about 8.5 ltr small batches. Obviously the mr beer 1.3 ltr tins are the go. As usual where i choose to live does not sell these. I need to buy 4 at a time from coopers online to get freight free This is outside of my budget.

question can i use 1.3 ltr from a coopers 1.7 ltr can for this exercise.or even a full woolies can.

i will be doing several different brews at a time, so there would be little or no wastage. Using a 10 ltr fv, if that helps.

You can use a Coopers 1.7litre can in the small fermenter but make it up to 10 litres, that's if you have the small Coopers Craft Kit but you could still do it in a larger FV, just bear in mind the amount of fermentables would need to be reduced by say 50% otherwise you will throw out the bitterness not to mention the ABV.

I have a Mr Beer Craft Kit & sometimes when I buy a i.7 can of something I quite often make 10 litres in the Craft Kit wit just 500gms of BE2 or 250-500gms of LDME & it works out fine.

HTH, Cheers Phil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You can use a Coopers 1.7litre can in the small fermenter but make it up to 10 litres, that's if you have the small Coopers Craft Kit but you could still do it in a larger FV, just bear in mind the amount of fermentables would need to be reduced by say 50% otherwise you will throw out the bitterness not to mention the ABV.

I have a Mr Beer Craft Kit & sometimes when I buy a i.7 can of something I quite often make 10 litres in the Craft Kit wit just 500gms of BE2 or 250-500gms of LDME & it works out fine.

HTH, Cheers Phil.

Why do you add extra fermentables? The 8.5l Mr Beer fermenters are designed to only add the 1.3kg goo, nothing else. Of course you can add and some recipes ask for it but by design, it makes 8.5l full strength beer. Using a 1.7kg can for a 10l brew will be perfectly fine. If you add another kilo of DME and BE, you are basically using ingredients for a 23l batch in 10l of wort. That's a high RPM beer. 

1 hour ago, Ol fart said:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes you can but you may end up with a more hoppy beer, with added bitterness. The 1.7kg cans are bittered to make 23l and if you drop it down to 8.5, you will get a fair bit of hop whack I suspect. Maybe use something like a Canadian Blonde or The Cerveza as they are lighter hopped. 

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Why do you add extra fermentables? The 8.5l Mr Beer fermenters are designed to only add the 1.3kg goo, nothing else. Of course you can add and some recipes ask for it but by design, it makes 8.5l full strength beer. Using a 1.7kg can for a 10l brew will be perfectly fine. If you add another kilo of DME and BE, you are basically using ingredients for a 23l batch in 10l of wort. That's a high RPM beer. 

I understand, when I first bought the Craft Kit I tried them all. We have a retailer here in Adelaide who sells the range of Mr Beer 1.3 cans, I some I found a little underwhelming that's why I added 250-500gms of extra fermentables, not a whole Ikg.  It would depend on one's personal taste I reckon. My favourie is the North West Pale Ale & some of the IPA's are nice too.

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I understand, when I first bought the Craft Kit I tried them all. We have a retailer here in Adelaide who sells the range of Mr Beer 1.3 cans, I some I found a little underwhelming that's why I added 250-500gms of extra fermentables, not a whole Ikg.  It would depend on one's personal taste I reckon. My favourie is the North West Pale Ale & some of the IPA's are nice too.

Ok, the magic word was "or" 🙂 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, davids47 said:

i have made 4 Mr beers so far and taste is ok , but head retention is non existent, and that is over the 4 i have made my next  one iam going to make with 200gms of LDM to see if that helps

@davids47 I have made heaps of Mr Beer range beers in the Craft Kit & despite what the tin directions said I always add 500gms of LME or LDME for extra body & head retention.

The tins also come pre-hopped but if you like a hop kick it pays to add some. I assume you are bottle priming & plain wits sugar will give you the best result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

what hopes do you use and what rate and boil times

OK it appears you are using 1.3kg tins of Mr Beer extract for the k & k method, you would not want to boil the extract as you will undo everything that has been done to create it, it would become very bitter & dark.

As far as Hops go; for Northwest Pale Ale & Golden Ale I have used Pride of Ringwood/Cascade/Amarillo/Fuggles/Vic Secret & a heap of others.

The IPA's I have used Challenger/Magnum/Saaz/Tettnanger etc

I never boiled them, just use the Infusion (teabag) method.

Refer to the attached chart for a whole lot of other ideas.

I hope this helps.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=5c59631e91db766f75c5625202f78555d2638e6d85c688ee8acc07aedca0cacdJmltdHM9MTY1NTk1MTYxNyZpZ3VpZD0zNTE2ZjAwNy1iOTYwLTRkNWQtYTM5ZS04OGQzMzA2MDFlMjQmaW5zaWQ9NTE2Nw&ptn=3&fclid=e27bb5dc-f29c-11ec-9e6d-995df3daa6a6&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9ob21lYnJld2FjYWRlbXkuY29tL2hvcHMtY2hhcnQv&ntb=1

Cheers

Phil

12 hours ago, davids47 said:

i have made 4 Mr beers so far and taste is ok , but head retention is non existent, and that is over the 4 i have made my next  one iam going to make with 200gms of LDM to see if that helps

I suggest 100 - 150 grams of Carapils grains.  Buy it from a Local Home Brew Shop.  Put it in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag and crush it with a rolling pin.  Add the crushed grain to 2 litres of water in a jug/pot and let it steep overnight in the fridge.  The next day, strain the liquid into a pot.  Boil it for 5 minutes.  Then cool the pot in the sink surrounded by cold water.  Pour it into the fermenter with the Nr Beer can and extra water.

Carapils is a grain that helps with head formation and retention.  It does not change the flavour very much. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, davids47 said:

Sound advice from our gurus SOS and Classic.  Either one or all of those suggestions will give u a boost in head retention. If u like me, and like a good hop kick, add the malt powder or liquid, but be sure to add a hop tea and or dry hop too 😉🍻

• Like 1