Coopers Community

Stella Artois clone

mrchino73

hi to all!!

Found this recipe for an ALl Grain recipe Stella Artois clone.

4k Pilsen Malt

600 grs carapils

40grs saaz (60 min)

10grs saaz (10min)

Mangrove jack 54

Seems quite easy, but as I don't have temp control I cannot brew it lager!

So my question is, what if I change the Mangrove yeast, for an Ale yeast (ex: Nottingham)?

Does it affect too much the final result?

Thanx a lot

I've done a heap of Pseudo lagers using ale yeast - but I'm just doing K&K. I've used Nott, and TBH the beer has been really good. The only caveat with this is that I have temp control.....I fermented the cool. Pitched cool as well. From memory around 14 degrees. DR to 18 deg c for 3-4 days...Be interested to see how you go with the ale yeast at ambient temp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At (warm) ambient temperature using an ale yeast, you are going to brew an ale. It will have the esters an ale yeast produces at higher temps and in the end won't taste anything like a lager. But that shouldn't stop you from doing it. Brew it and see what happens. You may end up liking it. It just won't be a Stella clone 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

M54 is a California Lager yeast which is fermented at 18-20 and claims not to produce the esters, so same temp as ales. MJ also claim that extending lagering is not required with this yeast. 

Edited by Dozer71
  • Thanks 2

On 1/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, mrchino73 said:

Seems quite easy, but as I don't have temp control I cannot brew it lager!

Did you read about the yeast you have?

A unique lager strain that has the ability to ferment at ale temperatures without the associated off flavours. Extended lagering periods are also not required.

Suitable for California Common and any lager fermented at ambient (ale) temperatures.

Attenuation: High (77 - 82%)

Flocculation: High

Usage Directions: Sprinkle directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. For best results, ferment at 18-20 degrees C (64-68 degrees F).

Storage Recommendations: Store in the fridge.

Click here for a guide to the Mangrove Jack’s Yeast Strain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1