Coopers Community

Simcoe dry hop

Pints

2 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

First time using Simcoe, doing a brew A tin and was thinking of throwing the whole 100g Simcoe in dry hop. Is this going to be overkill? I do like hoppy IPAs. 

Cheers

Not overkill, but probably around the upper limit for a single hop dry hop.  I think you will like it.  I have only done up to 40g of Simcoe in a dry hop.  Although that was also with 40g of Cascade and it went well.  Only one way to know fur shur.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Not overkill, but probably around the upper limit for a single hop dry hop.  I think you will like it.  I have only done up to 40g of Simcoe in a dry hop.  Although that was also with 40g of Cascade and it went well.  Only one way to know fur shur.

Thanks for reply mate I think I'll do it then 

6 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Why not a little steep of 50 and a dry hop of 50.

IMO dry hopping is overrated

How would I do the steep ? like a soak in just boiled water? And when to add? Same time as dry hop?

32 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Yeah. Hop tea? I think the extract brewers do.

Um, you can do it in a coffee plunger??? That way you extract actual flavour (oils) not just aroma

22 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Put the hops in a sanitised coffee mug in their muslin bag with boiled water & steep for 15 minutes, chuck the lot in just before adding the yeast.

Cheers for the replies gents. Beer is already on the go so maybe I do the Hop tea with the dry hop?

• Like 1