Coopers Community

Ginger Beer

I've had some success with brewing a ginger beer of late so much so that it's earned itself a permanent spot on the kegerator. Thought I'd share the recipe here for others. Pretty low ABV at 3.3% but good to quench the thirst after work with 3-4 schooners without a fuss. Pretty much similar to what I've found on the forum here where others that have had success with Morgans kit.

1 Can of Morgans GB 
750gm Raw Sugar
250gm Dark Brown Sugar
250ml (cup) Buderim Ginger Cordial
Use the can yeast

OG @ 1026 with an FG of 1001 after about a weeks ferment.  I rack into a keg but can be bottled for a couple of weeks too, after secondary ferment bringing it up around 3.8%.

Sweet but spicy similar tasting profiile to brookvale union.

Edited by imJIM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, imJIM said:

I've had some success with brewing a ginger beer of late so much so that it's earned itself a permanent spot on the kegerator. Thought I'd share the recipe here for others. Pretty low ABV at 3.3% but good to quench the thirst after work with 3-4 schooners without a fuss. Pretty much similar to what I've found on the forum here where others that have had success with Morgans kit.

1 Can of Morgans GB 
750gm Raw Sugar
250gm Dark Brown Sugar
Use the can yeast

OG @ 1026 with an FG of 1001 after about a weeks ferment.  I rack into a keg but can be bottled for a couple of weeks too, after secondary ferment bringing it up around 3.8%.

Sweet but spicy similar tasting profiile to brookvale union.

I think almost everyone enjoys a Ginger Beer, I remember years ago Mum had the old Ginger Beer plant going in the kitchen, she had it for years & use to bottle it in the Old Mans empty Largie's.

When us kids got older, I was the oldest & ringleader & we decided to introduce an alcoholic twist to it, she wasn't impressed but the Old Man used to get pretty 💩 face on it. Ha Ha.

Your recipe sounds fine, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Hi @Liambeer , yep there are heaps of them around, my family has been handing one down for over 150 years.  

The Country Women's Association of Australia (CWA) has several versions of recipes to start off a ginger beer "plant" in order to make ginger beer so do a search on those.  A close cousin to the CWA recipe is here.

Once you have a "plant" up and going you can just keep making the ginger beer over and over.  You can tweak the sugar content in the daily plant feeds (or to a lesser extent later in the bottling stage) to pimp up the alcohol if you wish.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Mine used both

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          40.0 %        0.98 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         2          6.7 %         0.16 L        
2.00 kg          Dememera Sugar [Boil] (3.9 EBC)                  Sugar         3          53.3 %        1.26 L        
1.00 kg          Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins)                     Herb          4          -             -             
2.0 pkg          Vintner's SN9 (Vintner's Harvest #SN9)           Yeast         5          -             -             

tastes good and great colour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:44 AM, disgruntled said:

Mine used both

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          40.0 %        0.98 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         2          6.7 %         0.16 L        
2.00 kg          Dememera Sugar [Boil] (3.9 EBC)                  Sugar         3          53.3 %        1.26 L        
1.00 kg          Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins)                     Herb          4          -             -             
2.0 pkg          Vintner's SN9 (Vintner's Harvest #SN9)           Yeast         5          -             -             

tastes good and great colour

Cheers for posting the recipe what alcohol level and batch size. With the ginger root do you take the skin off  and do you boil it in a hop spider thanks again I have been asked to brew an alcoholic ginger beer and told them I wouldn’t bother but this sounds interesting. Cheers again!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I have been asked to brew an alcoholic ginger beer

Yeah, I have done the standard crappy dry ones but got over them

Vienna - is what I had, pale would be fine.

Caraaroma - again, what I had, light crystal is probably better

21 litres, beersmith says 8% - I did not check the FG but it's not completely dry, so maybe 6%

Ginger was finely chopped - with skin - and boiled in water for a while. Then drained into the mash.

Thoughts - Sugar and ginger was too dry so I thought I'd use some malt and some crystal to get some residual sweetness. Worked quite well. I would have used more ginger but couldn't find much in the garden, so needed to buy some and it was expensive. 1 1/2 kg would be good I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, imJIM said:

Pretty low ABV at 3.3%

1 Can of Morgans GB 
750gm Raw Sugar
250gm Dark Brown Sugar

That cordial has preservative Sodium Benzoate in it which kills yeast , might the reason for the low ABV.

Edited by Korbo
  • Like 1