1.5 DME

20 or 25g dry hop East Kent golding or something similar

Kit yeast + Brew A IPA kit yeast I have in the fridge

20L

Thoughts ?

🍻

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 2

I'm probably in the minority on this forum, but I'm not a fan of the Dark Ale kit. It's way too sweet and it doesn't get you anywhere near the Coopers commercial dark ale. You'd probably get better mileage out of the English Bitter kit as the base for a brown ale along with the Amber malt tin as the extras. EKG would be perfect.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

🙋

Thinking of a brown ale of sorts next

1.7 dark ale tin

1.5 DME

20 or 25g dry hop East Kent golding or something similar

Kit yeast + Brew A IPA kit yeast I have in the fridge

20L

Thoughts ?

🍻

Sounds good.  Not far off the Nut Brown Ale.  Maybe think about a steep of a few hundred grams of cracked Crystal Malt if you can get some.

20 minutes ago, Instigator said:

I'm probably in the minority on this forum, but I'm not a fan of the Dark Ale kit. It's way too sweet and it doesn't get you anywhere near the Coopers commercial dark ale. You'd probably get better mileage out of the English Bitter kit as the base for a brown ale along with the Amber malt tin as the extras. EKG would be perfect.

Noted thanks. I haven't seen the EB kit at my local brew shop but will look out for it. Looking to make something malty

5 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sounds good.  Not far off the Nut Brown Ale.  Maybe think about a steep of a few hundred grams of cracked Crystal Malt if you can get some.

Thanks. I did see that recipe, looks good

• Like 2

You could add a tin of Dark malt extract ..keeping in mind i like bitter/concentrated beers as well as lighter malty and sweeter ones ..all types really ..when your ready to jump in the deep end ..heres one i did a while ago for some ideas  ..Dark Ale tin ..Dark Malt extract tin(DLME)  ..500g light dry malt  ..1kg of Dark brown sugar ..250g of light crystal malt ..250g roasted crystal malt ..72g hops EKG/Fuggles in total ..7g coopers kit yeast and 11g english ale yeast packet ..(Boiled the steeped crystal malts in 4l water with 250g light dry malt for 30-40mins with 48g of EKG/Fuggles ..dry hopped 24 EKG/Fuggles on day 4 ) it needs time to mellow ..was totally wicked ..dont listen to the haters 😉😁🍻 

Edited by Breaktrainjack

25 minutes ago, Breaktrainjack said:

You could add a tin of Dark malt extract ..keeping in mind i like bitter/concentrated beers as well as lighter malty and sweeter ones ..all types really ..when your ready to jump in the deep end ..heres one i did a while ago for some ideas  ..Dark Ale tin ..Dark Malt extract tin(DLME)  ..500g light dry malt  ..1kg of Dark brown sugar ..250g of light crystal malt ..250g roasted crystal malt ..72g hops EKG/Fuggles in total ..7g coopers kit yeast and 11g english ale yeast packet ..(Boiled the steeped crystal malts in 4l water with 250g light dry malt for 30-40mins with 48g of EKG/Fuggles ..dry hopped 24 EKG/Fuggles on day 4 ) it needs time to mellow ..was totally wicked ..dont listen to the haters 😉😁🍻 

Ah thanks mate. Looks like some good ideas. I want to keep it simple at this stage. It's my 5th brew. My brew store doest seem to have Dark malt extract I don't think. Will Def ask the guy at the store though if he has any suggestions similar