Coopers Community

13lt dark ale

I'm keen to do a dark ale for winter but short on time so considering using a tin. I only brew sub 14lt batches lately so I have not used a tin for this size.

Question is, will 1 dark ale tin on its own be too much flavour/bitterness/anything else to use in around 13lt?? Has anyone done this before? Not keen to do just use half a tin as it's a bit of a waste

Cheers

I am sure you will get sound advice from the guys in the forum, but my question would be what size fermenter is it, assuming it is the 23l why not do at least 20 litres ?

This discussion has come up in previous posts using a 1.7kg tin in a smaller FV i.e. Mr Beer Craft Kit, but there is a lot of variances & opinions with this, so I will leave that for the experts.

Good luck with your brewing.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks mate. Yeah it's a 15lt fermenter. I do have a 30 but haven't used it in a while but could pull it out for the occasion. Not really keen to brew too much though. I don't drink much in the best of times and as much as I do love dark beers I can only really do one of those a night 

5 minutes ago, Beets Beers said:

Thanks mate. Yeah it's a 15lt fermenter. I do have a 30 but haven't used it in a while but could pull it out for the occasion. Not really keen to brew too much though. I don't drink much in the best of times and as much as I do love dark beers I can only really do one of those a night 

The easiest way would be brew 20 Litres in the 30 Litre FV. You will end up with more than you want but time will solve that problem and they wont go off.

If you use all of the tin in your small FV you may not like it and tip it all out.

You can keep the remainder of the tin in your fridge for a "few" weeks and do another batch later however I don't think this will be of any benefit to you. You may be better to use the first option.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beets Beers said:

I'm keen to do a dark ale for winter but short on time so considering using a tin. I only brew sub 14lt batches lately so I have not used a tin for this size.

Question is, will 1 dark ale tin on its own be too much flavour/bitterness/anything else to use in around 13lt?? Has anyone done this before? Not keen to do just use half a tin as it's a bit of a waste

Cheers

Depends on what you like.  I put the Coopers Dark Ale on its own into the IanH spreadsheet as a 13L brew.  IBU was 57.  ABV around 4.3% in the bottle.  20% of the Coopers recipes are more bitter.  Including most of the Vintage Ales. lots of IPAs, many of the Hop Slam IPAs, darks, porters and stouts.  If you liked any of these, I think the whole Dark Ale can to 13L would make a nice beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1