Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

37 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Same here I will buy a pkt of yeast and pitch it in the brew from that I will collect 2 jars of slurry which I use for the next 2 brews to save money on buying yeast every brew.

What is the longest time you have kept a jar of slurry? I don't like to keep them any more than about 4 weeks any longer I just tip them out

I’ve used refrigerated jars that are 6 months old and have sprung to life 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John304 said:

I’ve used refrigerated jars that are 6 months old and have sprung to life 

Do you make yeast starters? I don't I just pitch them straight in that's why I don't like to keep them for any more than 4 weeks but in saying that after 4 weeks they still smell fine 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

What is the longest time you have kept a jar of slurry? I don't like to keep them any more than about 4 weeks any longer I just tip them out

No more than 3 weeks otherwise i will make a starter. A lot is dependent on the brew. IBU and most of all ABV. With high ABV beers there can be significant cell death in a week even.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Do you make yeast starters? I don't I just pitch them straight in that's why I don't like to keep them for any more than 4 weeks but in saying that after 4 weeks they still smell fine 

Depends on how old they are, I’ve pitched them and seem to be fine 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Same here I will buy a pkt of yeast and pitch it in the brew from that I will collect 2 jars of slurry which I use for the next 2 brews to save money on buying yeast every brew.

I used a lager yeast slurry after 3 months. But I made a starter with it. 

I have a 500ml slurry of Coopers Commercial Ale yeast from mid June that I will use at the end of September.  So by the time I use it, it will be about 3 1/2 months old.  I probably will not even do a starter with it.

• Like 3