Coopers Community

Pilsner

MdK

Hi,

Im Emanuele and Im from Italy, so sorry for bad english 🥶

I buy my first kit, Pilsner 86 days and I have some doubt abount the preparation

So, I will preparate the must with water, malt and sugar and it will fermet at 13/15 celsius degree (You use celsius? I dont't remember)

When the FG is stable for 48h i will bottle the beer, and the doubt is:

After priming (I add the sugar in the second fermenter) I will bottle the beer, but about the temperature?

Manual with the fermentator said 18 celsius degree but in the website i read that the temperature must be low

I Thounght to leave the bottle at 13/15 celsius degree for 3 weeks, it is ok or it is too low?

Thanks to all will reply!

ciao amici,

other more experienced brewers here might have better advice than me, but i would suggest to put a blanket over your bottles to trap some warmth in.. and then let us all know how they taste in three weeks time :). I started brewing in the middle of winter here and apart from my first batch when i had no idea what i was doing, every other batch has been ready to go within 2 weeks.

i remember drinking many birra moretti during the few weeks i got to visit italy years ago, good memories 🙂

Hi Emanuele,  I have brewed dozens of these.  Yes ferment the batch out at 13 - 15 Celsius for about 10 days and then bump the temp up to 18 Celsius for say 4 - 5 days more to finish the ferment off properly as this does whats called a D-Rest and cleans up the yeast bi-products generated during the ferment.  So after a total of 14 days I then cold crash the beer for one week at 2 Celsius before I start to bottle.  This causes the yeast will drop down to the bottom of your fermenter and your beer will become very clear.

Once the specific gravity is definitely stable over the last days, then bottle and add your bottling sugar using the correct measure for each bottle and its size in ml.  I use 1 x Coopers carbonation drop plus 1 x cube of white sugar per a 740ml bottle.  Once bottled it is fine to store the bottles for 3 weeks at 13 - 15 Celsius but I normally store them for the bottle ferment part at about 18 Celsius for 4 weeks or so to make sure they carbonate up properly.

Then store them longer term at around 3 Celsius after that if you want to lager them properly over a longer time frame which will improve your beer even more.

Good luck with your beers and Happy New Year.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2

Thank you!

So, i start with 10 days at 13-15degree, after 4-5 days at 18 and after 7 days at lower possible (is about 5-6 degree in the place the i will place the fermentator)

After i bottle with the corrext sugar and store the bottle for 14/21 days at 18/20 degree (correct?) and after leave the bottle at the lower temperature possibole (always 5-6 degree) for 8 weeks and finally drink

It is correct?

The carbonation for a pilsner is about 2,5 (volums of CO2)?

For calculate the carbonation in the beer I have to use the max temperature of the process? (in these case 18 degree)

Edited by MdK

14 minutes ago, MdK said:

Thank you!

So, i start with 10 days at 13-15degree, after 4-5 days at 18 and after 7 days at lower possible (is about 5-6 degree in the place the i will place the fermentator)

After i bottle with the corrext sugar and store the bottle for 14/21 days at 18/20 degree (correct?) and after leave the bottle at the lower temperature possibole (always 5-6 degree) for 2 weeks

It is correct?

Pretty close.  To make the best lager you can from this basic kit aim for this.

1. Initial ferment is about 10 days at 13-15 C

2. Then follow with D-Rest for about 4-5 days at 18 C

3. Then cold crash whole FV for 5-7 days at 5 C (in your case)

4. Then bottle and store bottles for 14-21 days at 18 C

5. Once carbonation time is up then lager them for as long as can at 5 C (in your case)  The longer the better say a few months as in my case

6. Chill the odd bottle or two down to drinking temps say 2 C and test drink during the lager period.  That will tell you what time frame they peak at so next time you do the same recipe forget about them for this same length of time then drink the lot. ha ha.😄

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2

2 hours ago, MdK said:

Hi,

Im Emanuele and Im from Italy, so sorry for bad english 🥶

I buy my first kit, Pilsner 86 days and I have some doubt abount the preparation

So, I will preparate the must with water, malt and sugar and it will fermet at 13/15 celsius degree (You use celsius? I dont't remember)

When the FG is stable for 48h i will bottle the beer, and the doubt is:

After priming (I add the sugar in the second fermenter) I will bottle the beer, but about the temperature?

Manual with the fermentator said 18 celsius degree but in the website i read that the temperature must be low

I Thounght to leave the bottle at 13/15 celsius degree for 3 weeks, it is ok or it is too low?

Thanks to all will reply!

Are you doing the the second fermentation in a fermenting vessel then transfering it to bottles or doing the second fermentation in the bottles by adding sugar to each bottle.

Just a point I was not clear on.

Thanks!

I will do the second fementation in the bottles by adding sugar to each bottle

About this:

When i have to mesure the Final Gravity?

And the Original gravity before or after having put the yeast?

After put the yeast i have to mix or no?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MdK said:

Thanks!

I will do the second fementation in the bottles by adding sugar to each bottle

About this:

When i have to mesure the Final Gravity?

And the Original gravity before or after having put the yeast?

After put the yeast i have to mix or no?

You can measure the Final Gravity at anytime, when two consecutive days gives you the same reading, that is the Final Gravity.

I take the Original Gravity just before adding the Yeast but you can do it just after adding yeast if you like.

No you don't have to mix the yeast into mix. But some do. Just make sure that the mix is well aerated to get the oxygen in initially (by vigorously stirring the mix) then leave the mix alone to do its thing.

Thank you!

About the second fermentation in bottle i thought to do this: 2 weeks at 13°C, after 2 weeks at 18-20°C and after 8 weeks at about 5°C, it is ok or is better 2/3 weeks at 18-20°C and after 8 weeks at about 5°C?

11 hours ago, MdK said:

Thank you!

About the second fermentation in bottle i thought to do this: 2 weeks at 13°C, after 2 weeks at 18-20°C and after 8 weeks at about 5°C, it is ok or is better 2/3 weeks at 18-20°C and after 8 weeks at about 5°C?

I would leave it at 12C for "few" weeks and then put it in to your fridge getting it ready for drinking. Most fridges have a default temperature of around 5C.

2 hours ago, MdK said:

Thanks

Few weeks like 4? it is ok?

After 8 at 5C?

After bottling the Pilsner, firstly you need to leave them at around 12C to allow the secondary fermentation to take place in the bottle.

You can then store (Lager) at 5C or a bit higher for conditioning.

3 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

After bottling the Pilsner, firstly you need to leave them at around 12C to allow the secondary fermentation to take place in the bottle.

You can then store (Lager) at 5C or a bit higher for conditioning.

5 hours ago, MdK said:

Thanks

Few weeks like 4? it is ok?

After 8 at 5C?

I read your post again.

Yes four weeks should be fine for the secondary fermentation and after eight weeks at 5C you could start tasting to see if it is OK for you. If not leave it a bit longer then try another bottle.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MdK said:

10 days are passed!

Now i remesure the gravity and it is 1014 (og is 1036)

It fermented at10-13 degree so, I have to leave at this temperature more days before put it at 18C?

I usually increase the temperature on lagers/pilsners to 18°C once gravity gets to 1020.  The higher temperature helps the yeast finish off its job.  I leave the temperature at 18°C until the gravity readings are stable.

Next I cold crash the brew.  I reduce the temperature by 2-3°C every 12 hours until it gets to 1-2°C.  Leave for about 4 days then bottle or keg.  This makes the yeast settle to the bottom quicker and makes for a clearer beer.  

Hi Emanuele, Yes get the temp of your FV up to 18 C now for another 4 days and see if the gravity drops a couple of points more.  After the 4 days If the gravity is the same with 2 readings your brew is done and ready to gradually cold crash as Shamus has suggested.  I usually hold mine at 2 C cold crash for 1 week then bottle.

Once you have bottled store them upright in a spot that is about 18 C for 2 to 3 weeks to give them time to carbonate up using the priming drops or sugar you put into the bottles as per the recipe.  Once this period is up you should store the bottles upright in a very cool spot for as long as possible.  This called the lagering process.

You can start to drink them anytime after the 2 -3 week carbonation time but of course the longer you lager them then better the beer gets.

While you are carbonating these bottles get another brew going using what you have learned from first one.  You will quickly become very good at it and build up stocks of beer to drink and share with friends.

Good luck and hope you get a nice beers out of your efforts.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

I have a big problem

I tried to use a thermal blanker to bring up the temperature, but it doesnt work...

Now my only possibility is to move the FV in another room...

Can I or is better not do the D-reset at 18°C , after it i have to move FV another time to put it at 5C for another week...

What temp will it get to if you leave it were it is?  Will it be higher than the temp your fermented it at?

Moving is not a problem but risk are that you do yourself an injury, or drop or spill the FV.  Stirring up the trub will not be a problem because it will drop back out during your cold crash period before bottling anyway.  Up to you if can move safely.

Cheers - AL

Problem solved! I used anothern thermal blanked and during the night the temperature increased at 18-20degree!

Now I try to mantain this temperature for 4 days.

In the last 2 I will mesure the gravity to see if it reach the FG (countig that og is 1036 the fg will be about 1009?)