Coopers Community

Irish Red Ale using Canadian Blonde

Stickers

1163542612_redcanadian.thumb.JPG.556797d3d2c4d3537961d21d87ef7f3a.JPG

coopers canadian blonde can, be2, 1kg carared, 400g light crystal, kveik voss yeast

thinking of one hour stovetop mash of the grains at 70c ish in 3.5 litres and sparging with 1.5, the 30 minute boil. The rest is just kit and kilo. planning on dry hopping with cascade. also, it's getting warmer so i'm going to give kveik voss yeast a go.

still a few days before i make this so any feedback or thoughts is appreciated 🙂

Perhaps some Roasted Barley if you are going for an Irish Red.

I’m not really an expert with Carared as I have only used it once before, but 1kg seems like a lot. Especially combined with 400g light crystal.

I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I’m not really an expert with Carared as I have only used it once before, but 1kg seems like a lot. Especially combined with 400g light crystal.

the main reason i added the crystal was to bump it onto the 'good' range on the spreadsheet EBC calculations, i could always dump that part if EBC chasing isn't really worth it

Just now, Stickers said:

the main reason i added the crystal was to bump it onto the 'good' range on the spreadsheet EBC calculations, i could always dump that part if EBC chasing isn't really worth it

It’s all about balance. 

Irish Reds tend to be a bit drier and the roasted barley helps with this. Too much crystal will leave the beer too sweet.

Check out some recipes online to get an idea of the grain additions.

• Like 1

Hi @Stickers, I agree with Hairy on this.  I think you need a blend.  There is nothing wrong with the crystal, but you might have too much Carared.  I have never done a red ale, so do not know from experience.  Your recipe might work out fine.  However, looking at other recipes they tend to have a blend rather than getting the 'red' from one main addition.

50g -100g of Roasted Barley or Chocolate Malt with the Crystal and maybe half as much Carared might be better.

• Like 1

cheers for the feedback @Hairy and @Shamus O'Sean I've adjusted the calculations to use .5 carared, .4 light crystal and .7 red x and hit even better numbers in the spreadsheet. i'm more trying to hit a red coloured ale than nail the specific irish red style per se.. but i still want to end up with a beer that tastes good. will check out roasted barley in the future though, couple of weeks before i can get out to my LHBS again

135452463_redcanadian3.JPG.a4a5b26a8dd67916ec2cb1ee06ecde73.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bribie G said:

The problem with Carared is that it ain't actually all that red.

A far better spec grain is Caraaroma that will get you there quicker than roast barley - as well as nice and smooth without the "stouty" overtones.

redder.thumb.jpg.a9b2ebdb40715154d9ce22fa353fae39.jpg

this is what I was looking for how many grams do you add to a brew so it doesn't end up too sweet but adds to body? caraoma

Edited by jamiek86

If you are using a very pale kit like Canadian blonde or Cerveza  then 300g should be heaps. Steep separately for half an hour then sparge to get the extract out. Then a boil for around half an hour as well with some hops if preferred.

1 minute ago, Bribie G said:

If you are using a very pale kit like Canadian blonde or Cerveza  then 300g should be heaps. Steep separately for half an hour then sparge to get the extract out. Then a boil for around half an hour as well with some hops if preferred.

I remember a few times i done this with English bitter kit years ago but cant remember how much might have been 150 grams. boiled some ekg for half hour dry hopped some. good head retention but after 5 or 6 weeks sweetness took over was unbearable. so if I use less with IPA kit I reckon would be ok

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stickers said:

@jamiek86 you might like this chart that shows which grains need a mash and which grains only need a steep (link)

I should be able to drink this first attempt in a weeks time, in the meantime i've now got some CaraAroma for the next attempt 🙂

that link is telling me I need to sign up to read it. I know the specially malts that need a 30 min steep etc over mashing for an hour? I think it was caraoma or carared I used and was just too sweet longer it aged in bottle. 

12 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

that link is telling me I need to sign up to read it. I know the specially malts that need a 30 min steep etc over mashing for an hour? I think it was caraoma or carared I used and was just too sweet longer it aged in bottle. 

also made a pdf version so i can print one, hopefully this link works, it's good info

Brewing Malt Comparison Chart.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Stickers said:

also made a pdf version so i can print one, hopefully this link works, it's good info

Brewing Malt Comparison Chart.pdf 110.6 kB · 7 downloads

so if I grab a box of uncle Toby's rolled oats I need to mash it for an hour for the extra body and mouthfeel even if only a small amount? or is a steep for 30 min sufficient if not after the sugar from it?

2 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

so if I grab a box of uncle Toby's rolled oats I need to mash it for an hour for the extra body and mouthfeel even if only a small amount? or is a steep for 30 min sufficient if not after the sugar from it?

you should start a separate thread on that, i haven't used off the supermarket shelf oats yet - quickly building up a collection of grains though