Coopers Community

Newtowner clone

YOUNG HENRYS 

In December 2012, the Sydney suburb of Newtown celebrated its sesquicentenary and, to celebrate the 150 years since becoming a municipality, the crew at Young Henrys was invited to brew a beer in honour of the suburb they call home. 

Named Newtowner, it was something of a nod towards Sydney's colonial past and modern inventiveness – an English style Summer Ale made with a trio of Australian hops that combined in a golden beer that’s simple and refreshing with a slightly dry finish. Originally planned as a one-off brew only available in the 2042 postcode, the beer hit such a sweet spot with locals that it soon became permanent member of the Young Henrys range and has gone on to become the brewery’s biggest seller. 

It's also evolved over time, first released in bottles, then cans, then relaunched as the first of the brewery's new look cans to hit the market in 2017. On the outside, the revamp wasn't too drastic: the tinnies are still designed to look like a full Stack amp – even more so, in fact – but with the brewery and beer name easier to discern. Look underneath and you'll see it's tagged an Australian Pale now; that's because there's been a little fiddling with the wiring underneath. They've tweaked the malt backbone with the introduction of some of Kiwi malster Gladfield's light crystal variety, resulting in a copper colour and fuller body. The hops are peachy up front with some tropical/passionfruit flavours coming through later in, making for a beer we imagine will keep a fair few parties and BBQs rocking as the mercury rises.

@Beerlust is good with hops, he may be able to help.

The brewery have done well to keep the hops used in the recipe a secret.

It does say a trio of Australian hops & given the taste descriptors I'd suggest Galaxy, Cascade, & maybe Vic Secret that are all grown in Australia.

No idea of the quantities or sequencing of a hop schedule. Given it's aimed at being a sessionable beer, I wouldn't think the amounts used wouldn't be overly high.

Best of luck coming up with a recipe.

Lusty.

If you are using kits then I would go with the following as a base:

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale
1.5kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt
21 litres

Then play around with the hops Lusty mentioned in a hop tea and a dry hop.

The website talks about it now using some light crystal so you could add a little, but the commercial version is pretty pale.

Edited by Hairy

14 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The brewery have done well to keep the hops used in the recipe a secret.

It does say a trio of Australian hops & given the taste descriptors I'd suggest Galaxy, Cascade, & maybe Vic Secret that are all grown in Australia.

No idea of the quantities or sequencing of a hop schedule. Given it's aimed at being a sessionable beer, I wouldn't think the amounts used wouldn't be overly high.

Best of luck coming up with a recipe.

Lusty.

I sometimes wish breweries wouldn't hide what's in their beers to make it all a guessing game. Some just list the hops on the websites which at least gives you something to work with..........and then on the opposite end Brewdog just gives you every recipe lol

• 4 months later...