Coopers Community

Lamington Stout - July 2020 Recipe of the Month

Shamus, I know you are a brewing expert, but how can you even know what is happening before the CDIY members presale email even goes out!? 🤔

Edited by pilotsh
Typo- added "email"

54 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Shamus, I know you are a brewing expert, but how can you even know what is happening before the CDIY members presale email even goes out!? 🤔

I got the email two days ago 🤔

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I got the email two days ago 🤔

Ah, yes, I went back and checked: it blended into my forum post email alerts! *facepalm*

*graciously crawls back behind his newbie rock* 

🤗

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

I just ordered one, it sounds interesting.
I also note that it contains both liquid malt AND dry malt. BB won't be happy!

😊🤣

Be sure to add it to your diary here when you kick it off and finally taste it.

"Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 18C - 22C. "

I notice on the recipe the Brew Temperature guidance is now more accurate and realistic!  👍

Thank you very much Coopers!  😍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pilotsh said:

"Place the FV in a location out of direct sunlight and try to ferment between 18C - 22C. "

I notice on the recipe the Brew Temperature guidance is now more accurate and realistic!  👍

Thank you very much Coopers!  😍

Love your work. If you don't ask you don't get.

• 1 month later...

hey guys 

here's a quick tip for anyone else thinking about giving this recipe a go or sampling it before bottling / kegging and not satisfied. 

i found that it was quite bitter for the style and coconut aroma was almost too subtle to notice. maybe coz i'd tried this ripping coconut vanilla milk stout a few weeks earlier.
https://www.batchbrewingco.com.au/products/small-batch-coconut-vanilla-elsie-milk-stout

so for anyone wanting to amp up the coconut and sweetness, here's what I did:

after trying beer 12 days in and realising it wasn't popping enough flavour - i added 75ml of coconut extract (from health food shop - don't use supermarket coconut essence) and 500gm lactose then let it marry for a further 2 days before bottling. 

only recommend for those that really love coconut - but i was happy with the results. 

Got to admit that I brewed this and am really enjoying it.  The coconut I can certainly taste (as can the wife and she isn't a beer drinker) and there is a very subtle chocolate flavour as well which I notice.  I would definitely make this again. 

There was another coconut inspired brew recently that Shamus mentioned was like drinking cherry ripe.  I might be tempted to give that a go but I have a few other ROTM that I purchased that I have to do first.

• Like 1