Coopers Community

Using Spreadsheet with mash

Journeyman

22 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Only if you redefine what is meant by "mash efficiency" I guess.    What you're proposing is an efficiency figure that is determined by the final ABV. 

I reinterate that I am not argueing that mash efficiency is a measure of the total sugars that become available from the mash and I understand the evidence that the temperature of the mash doesn't affect the total sugars and thereby mash efficiency. 

In addition, we would both agree that the temp effects the profile of the sugar fraction via the amount of fermentable sugars available in that fraction.   So for those that chase higher OG beers, like JMan, to make higher ABV beers they would be better having a lower mash temp as that temp is more efficent at making fermentable sugars.  While those who want lower ABV beers, like myself, would be better mashing in the higher range so they have a beer that has more body as less of the total sugars are fermentable. 

The lower mash temps are more efficient in that senario as the sugars are fermentable and will create a higher ABV beer.   So while the total sugars of the mash are the same so the mash efficiency is the same the profile of the total sugars in different.  So lower temps are more efficient at making fermentable sugars.     So you are right with what I am proposing is a different definition which relates to mash sugars to ferment ABV.   Or an AG wort OG to FG efficiency Quotient which is independant of yeast attentuation.     

eg 2 worts same  mash efficiency have an  SG of 1060 but mashed at different ends of the temp range.  Brew A is low temp so the 1060 ferments out to 1010.   Brew B is high temp and the 1060 ferments out to 1020.   The  converstion efficiency of the mash sugar profile as a measure of ABV is better for the low temp.   So one is the mash efficiency and the other is a conversion efficiency.  NB I am disregarding the attenuation of the yeast because if the same yeast was used in both brews Brew A would still have a higher ABV due to the lower mash temp. 

Seriously I have too much time on my hands today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Oh yeah, I remember... jobs! 

Well I am retired, hence having the time to brew AG beers.    Notwithstanding it has helped me get my mind around some important concepts to do with AG brewing.  I have decided to try and mash in the higher range so my strike water needs to be warmer.  Time for me to play with the brewing software.   Yay

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Well I am retired, hence having the time to brew AG beers.    Notwithstanding it has helped me get my mind around some important concepts to do with AG brewing.  I have decided to try and mash in the higher range so my strike water needs to be warmer.  Time for me to play with the brewing software.   Yay

And I appreciate your learning and input. 😄 

24 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I appeared to be retired also, though not by choice...  

Me also - Carer for the missus and bung knees and hip/back issues takes out a lot of what I might do. Bit of a barista but can't stand long enough to do that job even. le sigh. Just went 65 a couple of weeks back so almost doesn't matter what the skills are now - employment seems to no longer be my thing.

A few years back I actually had a rather good coffee stout (as in it actually tasted like an espresso with hints of beer) in a pub in Melb - Mrs Parmas in top end Little Bourke in the CBD if you're interested in a variety of craft beers - so I've got that in mind for when I eventually get to AG brewing.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Just went 65 a couple of weeks back so almost doesn't matter what the skills are now - employment seems to no longer be my thing.

I started bumping into the ageism in recruitment thing in my early 50's when I first met with a redundancy.   Up until then I'd never imagined I'd have trouble getting back into the work force - especially in a high-demand industry like IT.   Since then I've relied on scraps of income from a variety of activities - music production (recording, audio engineering, mixing mastering etc), video editing and more recently photography -  but unfortunately that kind of work is few and far between.  I did work/manage one of my LHBS for a year... that was horrible, not so much because of the job itself but mostly because the business owner was a total **** !  

So, like you guys... I have plenty of time to spare and brewing is one way to fill up the hours! 

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

ex-IT myself. did 23 years of user/desktop support. Apparently most burn out in 10 years so I am not sure if I'm thick or special. (maybe specially thick? 😄 ) But not something you could drag me back to now...

Same...desktop focused mostly.  Couldn't stand it now.  Well and truly over anything to do with IT - apart from spending countless hours hunched over a PC for my own purposes...   🤓

• Haha 1

Great discussion as I am about to move into AG and this has prompted hours of reading up so i can "speak the speak" when asking you blokes for your knowledge.

Seems all us IT guys have been whirl-pooled (pun intended) into the same hobby to escape.  Myself a computer engineer for 33 years jumped into early retirement as just got so over it as well (another pun).  So I must be even thicker than the thickest or is it my infinite patience.

The company I owned always had trouble with getting and keeping good staff, they would all leave after about 18 months to do something absolutely totally different no fault of the company just the industry itself in general.  They all left to get as far away from IT as possible.  Back in the early days of the Internet a mate had an ISP business and he could not keep any staff member on his help desk line more than 2 weeks otherwise they would just quit or threaten suicide!

Cheers - AL

• Like 1