Coopers Community

skoosebrew

hi guys n gals of the brewing universe, so the old man used to brew many moons ago using from memory 1 can of coopers bitter, and 1 can of coopers draught or lager wasnt too bad a drop but a little rough round the edges.

anyway i thought id make use of the old 60L fermenter so ran into town to grab 2 cans of the sparkling ale but in my haste and excitement ive actually grabbed one sparkling and on ipa (both coopers brand)

basically wanting to know if anyone has done this with success or if its going to fail.

thanks for any advice on my current issue

Hey @skoosebrew

Welcome to the Forum.

Not likely to be a fail.  I am not sure exactly what you will get from it though.  Initially, I was worried about you putting these two cans together and it resulting in a very bitter brew.  However, if you make it up to say 45 litres, it will only be as bitter as a single can in a standard 23 litre batch.  You will need some other fermentables to keep your ABV up around 5%.  1.5 - 2kg of Light Dry Malt might do the trick.

Make sure to use both yeasts to chew though all the sugars.

The Scotch Ale recipe on the Coopers website might be something close to what your brew could end up like.

• Like 1

thanks for the input Shamus, and i think you just decided what my next brew will be for me, the Scotch Ale reads like a tastey brew.

will definately get my hands on some malts for the next batch but as for today my yeasts can eat up all the castor sugar they desire.

just about to get the lid on the fermenter, the wait is going to kill me but should be worth while in the end

• Like 1

I did the Scotch as a regular 23l. It's a great recipe. Needs at least a month in the bottle though to balance out, it comes out a little sweet to begin with.

I'm sure you'll get a drinkable beer mixing those 2, but whether you'll like it a subjective thing.

• Like 2