Coopers Community

10 day lager ferment?

Aeroboy86

19 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah you pitched high and brought it down low. That will lead to more yeast growth and a quicker ferment time. If you pitched at 10c and held it i suspect it would have been a lot longer. You would have needed 3 packets rather than 2 to get the same result.

I pitched at 18 degC and brought it down straight away, probably within 3 hrs was at 10deg, you think that makes the difference of a week and a half expected ferment time?  

6 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If you pitch what they advise at the lower end of the ferment temp they suggest then it will take all of 3 weeks maybe more. Its just not enough at that temperature. My 19L batches with a 3L starter are usually 9-10 days at 10c with a ramp to 17 or 18 to hit FG. When i pitch a whole slurry or dump onto the cake it can be as low as 7 or 8.

Yes, hence the underpitching mention. 

I vary my ferment temp sometimes. I found 2278 is too slow at 10 degrees even with a big starter, even after 6 days it wasn't quite at 1.030 yet, so I use 12 with it which gets the SG down a bit quicker. Might go back to 10 now that I have two fermenters and a bit more time, see if I can taste any difference. 

12 hours ago, Aeroboy86 said:

I am getting SG readings 9/10 days in (temp corrected) of around 1007, that is at 10degs constant for the entire time in FV (obviously coming down from original pitch temp) so that is well below the 3 weeks i was expecting at thia stage

Yes, with the right pitching, a D rest and a short cold crash one can have a lager out of a fermenter is 14days easy.  I keg lager mine in the kegorator so can do a short cold crash no problem as it sits cold in the keg until it is served, usually 8 weeks.  

16 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Lager D rests are done before FG usually when the SG reaches about 1020ish then up the temp to about 18ish and let the final points of ferment happen at higher temp to remove the diacytal. 

Thanks for the info - I haven't even begun to look into lagers - figured that was for grade 2 and I'm still in the bubs class. 😄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Nah. Except for the absolute need to have temp control they are just as easy as an ale.

And the need to make sure you do not under pitch and have time to have the brew fridge locked up for minumum 14 dyas and can be patient for the lagered product. But yes technique no harder than an ale.  Just that the temperature regimes are different.    This is not for Greeny as he knows all that and much much more. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Exercising patience is not easy for many, and therefore suggesting lagers are as easy as ales is clearly not true for many!  😁

True but I don't think one can imply there is a greater compexity in lager brewing based on an individuals self control.  But I get your drift.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 7:01 PM, Ben 10 said:

Interesting. They also say "not suitable for harvesting and/or repitching. " which is plainly untrue.

Obviously they want you to keep buying fresh packets!

Back in 2011 I attended the home brew conference in Brisbane and there was a video link to White Labs where, in the case of their liquid yeasts, they actually encourage repitching because quite often a yeast will finally start brewing 'to style' after a repitch or two. I actually noticed this myself with their Aussie Ale which developed the characteristic pear esters on its second pitch.