Coopers Community

sanitization for late addition

EWildcat7

Hi gang

I made a recipe that calls for the addition of 2 tbsp of vanilla after fermenting for 7 days.  Can I boil the tablespoon to sterilize it?  Or do I have to mix up an extremely small batch of stellarsan?  Is there another method for sterilizing a single utensil?

2 hours ago, EWildcat7 said:

Hi gang

I made a recipe that calls for the addition of 2 tbsp of vanilla after fermenting for 7 days.  Can I boil the tablespoon to sterilize it?  Or do I have to mix up an extremely small batch of stellarsan?  Is there another method for sterilizing a single utensil?

Spoon into boiling water will do it.

I make up my stellarsan equivalent and pour some into a simple trigger spray bottle.  Keeps in the cupboard for ages.  However, I go through it pretty quickly and have to top up regularly.  It is handy for sanitising just about anything.

• Like 1

Either way works. I usually boil my hop tea strainers before using them for dry hops. Had no problems. 

I have a litre spray bottle of starsan that I use for whatever it's needed for. I don't soak anything in starsan, because being a contact sanitiser and that I don't really have anything that would require soaking, I don't see any point. It usually covers sanitising the fermenter and keg, transfer hoses etc. for a couple of batches before I need to make up more. I would be doing this if I was you. It's easier to just grab the spray bottle than make it up every time you need to use some. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

On 10/22/2019 at 6:17 AM, EWildcat7 said:

if I make a small batch of stellarsan (or starsan), how long does it last sitting in a spray bottle?

I agree with Otto on this.  I think it would last for months.  My bottle says the solution can be reused as long as the pH is kept at or below 3.  I cannot measure pH.  However, I usually go through a 500ml spray bottle within two batches of beer.  I bought a 300ml bottle of stellarsan/starsan (Phosphoric Sanitiser) when I started brewing.  Now 69 brews in I still have nearly 100ml left.  At 1.5ml per 1L of water I have made up about 130-odd litres of sanitiser.

When I had  functioning pH meter I did measure my starsan and noted that the pH did rise after a few repeat uses. However, I also discovered that it only took a drop or two of the concentrate to drop the pH back down to around 2.5.   I make up a 5 lite batch of the stuff and reuse it multiple times, adding the occasional drop of the concentrate from time to time.  It's only when it starts to show visible signs of becoming 'dirtied' that I make up a fresh batch.   

• Like 1