Coopers Community

Kegs and kits, it is so easy

Marty_G

One of the reasons that I have resisted going to BIAB is the time taken and here is a case in point. Yesterday I had a keg blow which gave me room in the kegger to put the Pils so it can lager. It was in the FV fridge and at the end of the cold crash.  I also had 2 empty kegs waiting to be filled with my next ale brews. So in less than an hour I had the keg filled,  yeast harvested, the FV cleaned, sterilised and back in the ferment fridge with a brew of  English Bitter, lagering keg in kegger at serving pressure and all equipment cleaned and put away all in under 60 minutes. That is pretty darn good me thinks.  When I do take the jump to BIAB I must make sure I have a kit can sitting in reserve for just such a moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I get that, so you make the wort when you have time and just store it way to be used when needed. Now that makes perfect sense.   

Pretty much yeah. I'm doing a brew day today, and that wort will sit in the cube until the pilsner is kegged, then be pitched with yeast either the next day or day after that. 

• Like 1

I get the convenience of what you say but as they say,  all things that are good, arnt easy. Extract and partial are good but I always found I was lacking satisfaction somewhere in the process. I’m only new to all grain but I like standing there scratching my head sometimes or at least having the option to explore seemingly endless or vast options recipe wise. The whole process of tinkering in beer smith to milling grain to wondering where me fricken numbers went is all part of the fun for me.

• Like 5

I buy my milled grain mix from my LHBS on a convenient day.

When one of my 2 kegs "blow", I clean it and fill from my cold crash FV which is not on a limited schedule, as long as it has been ccing minimum 1 week.

I then move my fermenting FV which is not on a limited schedule, as long as it has completed - proven by FG check, straight into Cold Crash.

Next day I mash and cube. The day after that I brew in FV.

And thus the never ending Worthog Brewery cycle continues.

If I have a few days waiting for keg to CO2 up, I drink the build up of bottled beer, usually 2 per batch, which I also use as take-away beers when I am out visiting.🙂

Cheers

• Like 1